5 Reasons Why It's Totally Okay to Be Single In Your Twenties

Being single is not a curse, it's a gift.

27
New Line Cinema

As a young woman living in this millennium, I sometimes feel like I should have three boyfriends with the number of dating resources that are at my fingertips. Mobile apps, dating websites, and friends that introduce me to every male we pass have made getting into a relationships easy. Or so I've been told.

The truth is, I don't want to be in a relationship right now - sorry ladies - and that's okay. I've only just started my life and I want to have a little fun before I settle down into the rockers on the front porch. Here are five reasons why I think it's totally okay to still be single in your early twenties.

1. This is the 21st century, do what you want!

For some reason, there is this weird societal pressure that makes us feel like we have to be in a relationship to be happy. I am happy to report that is most definitely not the case. Being single doesn't mean you're undateable or unattractive, it means you have different priorities. And that's okay! Do what makes you happy and brings you the most joy. This is your life to live, so live it how you see fit! Don't worry about what society (or your grandma) says, being single is not a bad thing, it's a learning thing.

2. Independence is awesome

Because being able to stand on your own two feet is pretty darn cool. There is a lot to be said about enjoying solitude, especially in relation to your mental health. Get to know yourself, your likes and dislikes, what you really want out of your life and a life with someone else before jumping into the deep end. As a strong, independent woman, I love knowing that I can count on myself when the going gets tough. Sure, it might seem intimidating to some, but I'm a better version of myself because I know and appreciate my independence.

3. Having high standards is a great thing

My mom always tells me that I should never settle for anything less than I deserve and she's absolutely right. Having high standards is not being picky, it's knowing what you want and not settling until that's what you have. We live in an incredibly different world than the one our parents and grandparents grew up in and we shouldn't have to uphold their traditions if they don't fit our lifestyle. I don't mind waiting until I find the right person and you shouldn't either; find the one that treats you like a king or queen, not the court jester.

4. You can't rush a good thing

This is a saying I hear all the time and usually I roll my eyes at it, but it's totally true. Everyone is in such a hurry to get into a relationship, we forget what relationships are supposed to be about. Trust, communication, love, things you can't gain overnight. Take your time getting to know someone because on the surface they may be exactly what you want, but on a foundational level they're the complete opposite. Relationship's take time so enjoy being single while you still can. There's no rush to put a ring on it, so let's let Beyoncé dance a little longer.

5. Being a single, young, twenty-something only happens once

In my opinion, this is the most important reason to stay single until you find the right person. As cliche as it sounds, you're only young once. You only have a small window of time before adulthood wraps it's claws around you and turns your happiness to ash. Alright, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point. This is the time to make mistakes, to create memories with your friends before you blink and you've all got houses with the white picket fences. Your twenties are going to be the stories you tell your kids, don't miss out on those opportunities because the world says you need a significant other.

Being single isn't a curse, it's a gift. Do you and the rest will follow. Fall in love with yourself first because that's what really matters. Mr.Right will come when the universe it ready, but until then, enjoy having the bed all to yourself, it really is quite comfortable that way.