Five Reasons to Start Journaling in 2020

It's time to start writing again.

7
https://kaboompics.com/photo/3349/small-notebooks-with-colourful-pencils-in-a-jar-on-a-wooden-desk

Hey there! It's been a while since I've wrote one of these. Nearing toward the end of last semester I was caught in a storm. Schoolwork kept piling up, and I kept making excuses as to why I couldn't write an article. It came to the point that I had lost sight of what kept me happy and was only focusing on what needed to be completed for finals. I stopped journaling, which killed my creativity, and found myself wallowing into a deep cycle of checking my social media for hours and hours. Comparing myself to what others were posting, I felt like a couch potato during Christmas break. Even though I had more time to write, I still didn't take the opportunity to do so. Coming back for spring semester I've decided to make a few changes. Keeping a daily journal holds me accountable for staying on task to reach my goals. There's nothing more relieving than writing down my scattered thoughts to release my feelings. Journaling not only keeps me organized but also builds my confidence and self-esteem. Need a new year's resolution? Pull out an old notebook and start writing today!

Journaling clears your mind.

If there's one thing writing's good for, it's for clearing the mind. Every time I feel myself becoming overwhelmed with too many tasks I simply stop and write down what needs to get done. This allows me to transfer my thoughts from the mind down to paper and makes goals easier to accomplish. Journaling allows a person to focus and reason tasks out without becoming stressed. In result, you will be open to better insights and clearer understanding with a journal of your actions and experiences.

It's a tool for self improvement.

New year, new me right? The best thing about journaling is that there is never a set time to start or end. You can write about whatever you want, whenever you want, and nobody can tell you otherwise! Journaling can be used as a tool for self improvement to look back and see where you started. Whether it's tracking fitness progress, achieving financial goals, or becoming a nicer person, there's always room for new growth.

Journaling sparks creativity.

Have a new idea but don't know how to get started? Write down your initial thoughts and start brainstorming away. Research has shown that practicing creativity is often difficult. The best writers and designers have years of practice and keep records of their experiences to share with others. Practice journaling your thoughts to refine your best ideas to create something new.

Recall information and memories.

My favorite thing about journaling is having a tangible book of all my memories. Whenever I'm having a bad day I know I can look back at old entries and see how I've changed over time. Journaling brings back the good and the bad but ultimately allows me to see where I failed and got back up. Even if I've forgotten something that happened a long time ago, journaling can bring back old memories I'm glad I wrote down.

Take control of your future.

Do you ever find yourself wondering where the time went? Sometimes we have hopes and dreams but never actually set out a plan to achieve them. Journaling your goals allows you to write out your ideal life with strategic planning. Stop procrastinating and take control of your life by writing down ways to improve! Be descriptive and detailed to track your progress. You'll be surprised how far you've come by writing down your initial goals to get ready for a positive future.