5 Reasons To Play Sports In High School

5 Reasons To Play Sports In High School

Ever thought whether or not you should play a sport in high school? You should and here's reasons why..

3404
5 Reasons To Play Sports In High School
Ronald Cisneros

For generations sports have been dominant in many aspects in high school. Whether it be from a social aspect to helping students academically. I have always felt as if sports were a good outlet to release the daily stresses of honors/AP classes and all other stresses that come with being a student. Being a student-athlete in high school can benefit students in an infinite number of ways and being part of a team is something that you will carry with you the rest of your life.

1. Represent Your School.

What greater feeling than knowing when you put on that uniform that you are playing for something bigger than yourself? You’re playing for the name across your chest and for everyone that represented the school before you. Sounds a bit cliche, but if you play for the football team and they have had a history of being a really great team every year, it’s your responsibility to practice and play well because you want to continue your schools history.

2. Lifelong Friendships

I would be lying to you if I said I didn’t meet some of my best friends though sports. When you decide to play a sport, you’ll be spending a lot of time with your teammates. Most schools will have practice two hours a day, five to six days a week. That’s around 10-12 hours you’ll be spending with your teammates. You get to learn a lot about them the first few weeks and you find some you have similar interests in. You will be working out with them, traveling with them to games, having pasta parties the night before games etc... After spending almost three months with the same group of guys/girls you’ll come to grow a bond with them and it could definitely motivate some to continue playing the following year or in college to make more friends and meet new people.

3. Fitness Level

Sports on any level now a days are more competitive than ever. High school athletes are pushing themselves more than ever before due to the heavy competition. When I played football in high school, we would have non-mandatory off season workouts basically everyday in the weight room because the competition is so high throughout the other high schools in the league. This provides an excellent opportunity to access in fitness and athletic ability. There’s really no better feeling than being in shape and pursuing high school sports can definitely promote being in shape.

4. Potential Scholarships

College is extremely expensive. Most people can’t afford to pay for it straight out of their pockets and that motivates a good portion of high school athletes to work hard to be the best they can be on the field/court. The opportunity to have your college education paid for is an excellent reason to play a sport and work hard for it.

5. Improved Academics

While many believe sports are a distraction from school and will lower grades, sports in fact help most students academically. Surveys have shown that student-athletes average GPA in 2013 (2.85) is sightly higher compared to non student-athletes average GPA (2.62). Most schools also require athletes to maintain a certain GPA in order to participate, which is additional motivation for athletes. It is also shown that students who are involved in athletics miss school less than those who aren’t involved in athletics.