5 Reasons to Befriend Your Resident Assistants

This goes out to all the RA's I've known so far

9
Amanda Redman

My first days as a college student weren’t all fun and games. Friends were not the easiest to make, or even to keep. The first people you meet walking into your new home are your RA’s (your Resident Assistants) welcoming you to your new home. Some may think you want nothing to do with and just follow your own gut feelings. For me, being friends with my RA’s is the greatest thing that has happen to me, and here are five reasons why.

You’ll be the first to know about upcoming programs

Feeling like there’s nothing to do on campus? Well your RA’s host programs at least once a week so there’s always something to do. They’ll find you, tap you on the shoulder and tell you to tell your other friends and your floor-mates their program is worth going to (whether food is involved or not).

They’ll even help your floor stay out of trouble

When the floor gets fined for something you know you never did they got your back and know whatever happened wasn’t directed toward you specifically. Even if something happened in your room and you weren’t there they stop you before you get pulled into the write-up they got to do.

Hall meetings will be easier

The reason for this, is because before they even hang up the signs for the planned hall meeting they will find you and tell you when this meeting is happening and possibly why. They’ll have you be the messenger as well and be sure to have your whole floor or hall know what’s going on.

They’re the perfect people to recommend you for things

From certain events to help out in to leadership positions on campus, your RA will tell the professional staff you’re the perfect recommendation. If they don’t see it the first time they will remember when the second time rolls around.

They will always be there for you

Even though it’s a part of their job, they will personally go out of their way for you and only you since they feel an outside professional friendship with you. Once you aren’t living in their building being friends with them is ten times easier!

Every RA I’ve come to know and am still friends with has cared for me from day one and has still managed to maintain some type of friendship with me. I am forever thankful!