5 Honest Reasons That Growing Up 'Spoiled' Can Actually Be A Good Thing

There is a difference between being spoiled and being bratty.

2981
Trisha Gregis

People are always so against the whole “being spoiled” thing.

They automatically assume that it makes you ungrateful and selfish and blah blah blah, but what they need to realize is being spoiled doesn’t have to be the bad guy, it’s all about how you are spoiled.

So, here are five reasons that growing up spoiled can benefit.

1. You learn discipline.

When you do something wrong, your favorite gadget of the week gets taken away. It helps you learn lessons. Simple.

2. You're thankful for what you have, even if you have a lot.

You realize that you are fortunate and not everyone has what you have, and you are thankful and appreciative. You learn to have a heart for those who are in need and give back.

3. You learn to work for what you have.

If I did not have good grades, I didn’t get to go shopping. If I was treating someone poorly or misbehaving, I was punished for that. I did chores around the house or helped my parents. As soon as I turned sixteen, I got a job. I was handed things as a child, yes, but I also had to work for them.

4. You learn the difference between a luxury and a right.

I knew that I did not have to get the new iPhone, or the newest toy. It was treated as a luxury. I was not entitled to it, and that was made clear to me.

5. You learn that being spoiled doesn't mean getting whatever that you want and throwing tantrums, or having the "new best thing". It's about being spoiled with love and knowing what you deserve, and never settling for less.

I believe that I was spoiled with both love and materialistic items, yet I knew which one was more important and I knew to stay humble.

Most of you think of children with bad attitudes and entitlement issues when you think of spoiled kids. I’ve always been called spoiled, but I know that I am not entitled to anything and I have to work for what I want. I know that there are people out there who don’t have anything, and I wish to help them. I know that love and family are way more important than materialistic items.

I was spoiled, yes, but I was not spoiled in the way that you think. I received both love and luxuries, and I still do. Yet, I was taught life lessons with those things. I knew that I had to work to get what I wanted. I knew that I had to have morals. I knew that I was not entitled to anything. Being spoiled can be a bad thing, but if it is done in the “right” way, it does not have to be.