5 Reasons You're Thankful That You Grew Up In Fairport, NY

Once a raider, always a raider.

73
Google

While growing up in Fairport, a small town just outside of Rochester, NY, there were quite a few things I haven't seen any other town maintain like the port did. Having had to move away from Fairport, I didn't appreciate some things as much as I should have, but I will always be thankful for the wonderful experiences and opportunities this town has given me, unlike any other.

1. Student Section

Basically, if you've ever been to a sporting event at Fairport, all you see is a sea of red. Students are standing end to end along the bleachers at hockey, basketball, volleyball, and many other games cheering our peers on. Everyone in Fairport seems passionate about the Red Raiders taking home a well fought win. Plus, one of the hardest things to do is head to college, hear the national anthem play at a game, and not chant "red" when it comes in the song.

2. Brotherhood-Sisterhood Week

There always comes that week in the end of the month of March where you were a little kid, you looked forward to the high school students coming to visit you, interacting with you, and getting to meet your buddy. When you get into high school, it's even better knowing that you get to spend time putting a smile on a little one's face, while being a good role model as well. Plus, getting away from all the stress of school and having a week where you really look forward to high school is always something you have to be thankful for.

3. Town on the Canal

Definitely one of the best parts of living in a town like Fairport, is the actual town. Getting to explore the canal path, lift bridge, trails, and all of the shops in the village is something you'll really appreciate. Wherever you are in the town of Fairport, you'll always have something to do and will never be bored.

4. Fairport Hots

Basically any hots place in Rochester can you make you a garbage plate, but Fairport Hots is probably the best place to get one from. Being a regional food, garbage plates aren't that commonly known outside of the Rochester area, but they're so good I basically feel bad for anyone who hasn't experienced once, and Fairport Hots is the place to go for them.

5. The Community

Most other towns just don't seem to have the chemistry as the community of Fairport does. We come together for situations both good and bad and practically everyone has someone else in Fairport who they can lean on. Everyone really seems to care about one another. It's just a very well put together comity.

Before I moved away from Fairport, I didn't appreciate it as much as I wish I did. There really is no place like home. Once a raider, Always a raider