5 Reasons 'SpongeBob' Is The Best Childhood Cartoon

The study of Wumbo? It's first grade.
5775

"SpongeBob SquarePants"—the sea sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea, who we've all grown to love. From fishing in Jelly Fish Fields to riding an "Alaskan Bullworm," the possibilities in an episode are endless. I used to watch SpongeBob every single day of my childhood. I have seen every season, every episode—every holiday special starring "Patchy the Pirate," and now it has come to my attention that this show has played a major role in the shaping and development of my creative mind. Its humor, craziness and odd relevance to reality has made me appreciate the impact it had on my childhood, which brings me to these five points:

1. Unique Sense of Humor

Let's face it, SpongeBob is hilarious. Whether it's Patrick acting like a dumb blonde, Squidward playing his clarinet terribly and being pretentious about his so-called "artwork," or Mr. Krabs being a cheapskate. The limit does not exist when it comes to the outlandish heights of random awesomeness this series has never failed to offer.

Like that time Squidward got everyone in a band together to play at the "Bubble Bowl" (which is still the best halftime show ever, just saying).

Or when SpongeBob and Squidward had to fearfully face "The Hash-Slinging Slasher," even though he ended up being a regular guy who was just trying to get hired at the Krusty Krab.

2. Imagination

I would like to thank this show for encouraging my extensive imagination. These characters have been everywhere and have done everything you wouldn't expect. From going back to prehistoric times to somehow ending up in the lost city of Atlantis, this show has taken us everywhere.

Like that time SpongeBob and Patrick encouraged Squidward to "battle robots" even though they were just sitting in a box, basing everything off their imaginations.

Or when Squidward got a hold of a time machine that eventually broke and ended up nowhere.

3. Be yourself

If there's one thing that SpongeBob taught me, it's being totally OK with being different and just embracing your unique personality. SpongeBob himself is an outlandish character, but he embraces his ways and rocks whatever he does.

Like that time he ripped his pants at the beach and ended up writing a song about it.

Or when SpongeBob had a Krabby Patty-making competition with King Neptune:

4. Friendship

One of the most important values demonstrated in "SpongeBob SquarePants" is friendship. Regardless of what happens, Spongebob and Patrick will always be there for each other at the end of the day. They even try including a bitter Squidward in all of their plans, despite his rejection.

Like that time they were competing to be Squidward's best friend and they ended up drinking too much soda and became friends again.

Or when they exchanged "Best Friends Forever" rings.

5. Relevance

"SpongeBob Squarepants" has been around for more than 10 years and is still relevant today. Despite the show's variety of settings, there are still plenty of situations which we can all relate to.

Like that time SpongeBob had a hard time writing an essay on what he learned in boating school.

Or when he had to take his driver's test but kept failing.