5 Reasons Why You Should Join Your Student Government

Joining a student government isn't so boring after all.

3084
Mike Adams

Going out for your campus student government can be rather intimidating, whether you’re a freshman or re-running as a senior, it’s always a tough decision to run or re-run. Elections are rather stressful and competitive. After all of that you will learn that it will be one of the best decisions that you will make.

1. You learn how to write professional documents.

In my time in my SGA freshman year, I wrote a proposal for a large scale project on my campus. While this was stressful and an entire break was spent writing the proposal, it was a valuable experience. Now, going into a chair position, I know how to write a document that I can use in my future and professional career.

2. You make amazing connections.

As part of the SGA, you have an opportunity to work with faculty and administration, which includes anyone from the Director of Student Activities to the dean to the president of the university. These are great connections to build while you’re an undergraduate because they can help you secure a job whether during college or after you graduate. They make great references!

3. You learn a lot more about other organizations.

A valuable lesson I learned is how and how not to run an organization. This experience is extremely valuable because it can be applied to everyday life. I learned a lot about different types of organizations ranging from Greek life to various organizations who hold large scale events. I went through recruitment and found my fraternity through the people I met on my SGA! Being involved with student government gave me an opportunity to work with many organizations that are up-coming and new on campus!

4. You make friends for life.

Being in the SGA, you work closely with your fellow peers both in and out of the organization. While working with fellow Senators, I made really close friendships with brothers from my fraternity, people who opened me up from other organizations and people who helped me meet and talk to commuters more! I know that I will have these people in my life for the rest of my life, and I know that—through student government—I will meet many more people in the years to come.

5. You will make lifelong memories.

While you may not be friends with everyone, you will make life long memories whether it’s the feeling of accomplishing a project, having a good laugh with some friends or even late night runs to Wal-Mart during a leadership retreat. All of these things will create stories that you will tell for years to come. The best memories you will make are those that reflect what you accomplished for yourself and your college. .

Joining our Student Senate was one of the best decisions I made my freshman year. I started the year as a quiet and shy person and Student Senate helped me to open up. It taught me not to be afraid of everything and that things would work out. This experience also helped me find my passion in life, and it led to me changing my major because I found something I loved. Go out for your student government! There are many benefits and a great deal of fun comes with the responsibility! Overall, I am very grateful for this experience, and I hope to have it all four years of my college career!