5 Reasons Every Millenial Feminist Needs to Watch Freeform's 'The Bold Type'

Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

11

Around two weeks ago, I took a chance on Freeform's new series 'The Bold Type' and I''m very glad I did. As a feminist, this feels like exactly like the kind of show young women need to see on TV right now, and I could go on for a really long time about how brilliant this show is, but instead, I'll just give you five (un-ranked) reasons to try it out for yourself.

1. The Characters

The shows 3 main characters are Jane Sloan, Kat Edison, and Sutton Brady, and you are sure to find something relatable in all three of them. Jane is hesitant at taking big risks and is fearful of relationships after getting her heart broken. Kat is a very independent girl with a go-getter attitude who has been struggling to find herself. Finally, Sutton is a hardworking person who wants nothing more than to achieve her dreams in the fashion world, but she puts her dreams on hold in order to climb out of her family's poor financial situation.

2. The Humor

This show makes me laugh a lot with a wide variety of humor methods. From jokes that call out sexism towards women to jokes about modern pop-culture phenomenons. I always giggle during this show and appreciate its need to create humor that is deeper than the surface. As a feminist i am grateful that this show can make jokes about men without following the stereotype that a lot of women are irrationally angry at men.

3. Touches on Important Issues

Most feminists can agree that it is vitally important to have representation of a wide variety of women when fighting for feminist causes, The Bold Type addresses this statement in the form of having one of it's bigger supporting characters be a proud muslim lesbian. This show also demonstrates to women that it's more than okay to question your sexuality, and that it's not okay to be judged on your quality of work based only on your gender. Some other intersting topics this show includes are cyberbullying as an adult and the importance of learning your comfort zone sexually.

4. Fashion

The women in this show work for a magazine that places a high interest in fashion, so it's no surprise that there wardrobes are on point. From business professional to a night out with my girls, The Bold Type has given me plenty of wardrobe inspiration.

5. Modern Journalism

The Bold Type's center concept is the employees of Scarlett Magazine, a fictional publication inspired by Cosmo. As someone with a potential interest in magazine jounalism, I believe that this show gives you a fun, yet realistic perspective on the lives of young journalists.

So what are you waiting for fellow feminists, binge the first few episodes of The Bold Type on Hulu or the Freeform app. (Live Tuesdays 9/8c)