5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Love Dachshunds

From a dachshund owner and lover; so I guess this a little bit biased.

36

The Dachshund. You might know this breed as the weiner dogs, the hot dogs, or even the sausage dogs. Well, the proper term is dachshund, pronounced (doc-send). If you know me or my family, then you know that we are avid dachshund lovers. Honestly, it is an obsession. A healthy one of course. My mom grew up with dachshunds, which has resulted in me growing up with dachshunds as well. We have numerous dachshund decorations around our house, from a calendar to cliche signs and to even a painted portrait of our dachshund, Callie. My friends constantly send me dachshund memes and videos and for a high school graduation present, my friend got me a pillow with my dog on it. The pillow was a great conversation starter. To be honest, I think my new college friends knew more about Callie than me during the first few weeks of school. I believe everyone should appreciate the wonder of these dogs and here is why. Disclaimer: I think all dogs are amazing. I just have a deep love for dachshunds.

There are many different types of Dachsunds.

Unsplash

There is the wirehaired, the smooth, and then the longhaired dachshund. Each of them is quite different, which makes this breed so unique. There are also miniature dachshunds. So many to choose from! There are also multiple colors of dachshunds ranging from black, brown, tan, and cream. Each dachshund is perfect in every way. I mean, look at this picture of them!

Dachshunds will do anything they want.

Unsplash

This is the best thing about them honestly. They literally will do anything they want. If you expect to train your dachshund, good luck. They are not good listeners. Dachshunds only listen to you if you have something they want. They follow their own rules. My dachshund rules our household, and nothing will change that.

Dachshunds are the best at snuggling.

Unsplash

Maybe it is the shape of their body that makes it so easy to curl up. Or maybe it is the fact that they constantly need attention and want to be close at all times. Either way, dachshunds know how to snuggle. They just fit in close to you like a puzzle piece. They are small enough to not take up too much room and their long bodies give you so much warmth; you don't even need a blanket! My dachshund always has a spot between one of us and the couch. If you are in her spot, she will nudge you until you move.

The shape of the Dachshund makes them who they are.

Unsplash

Their long body. Their short, stubby legs. Need I say more. Also, if you know me, then you know I am not a fan of them being called hot dogs or sausage dogs. My friends make fun of me for thinking that the dogs care if they are called that, but I promise you they do. The proper term is a dachshund, and that is what they will be called.

Dachshunds will love you to the end.

Kate Maddox

These dogs truly are loyal to people they love. They will stick by you through anything. They will offer you comfort, an ear to wipe your tears on, kisses, laughter, and just simply love. Now, I know this article is all about dachshunds, but I believe all dogs are worthy of this kind of love. If you have a dog, go love on them right now. If you don't have a dog, go find a dog to love on. Dogs are truly one of the best things on this earth, and they deserve everything! This picture is of my dachshund, Callie. She is my best friend and my greatest companion. This picture was taken right after she won 2nd place in the Dachshund Derby in Nashville. Our family got interviewed and featured in the paper. The article is on our fridge so everyone can see what a star Callie truly is!