5 Reasons Comic Conventions Are Great

5 Reasons Comic Conventions Are Great

What's not to love about Comic Cons?

11
5 Reasons Comic Conventions Are Great
Google images

This weekend I will be attending Comic Con in Indiana. Whenever I tell someone that I go to comic conventions, they give me a strange, puzzled, look. They say, “You? Why do you even like those things?”. I never know how to respond to those questions without just simply saying, “Because it's so fun and great!”. People do have their own preconceptions about Comic Cons because some do not understand the reasons why they are so great. Of course, there are some downfalls to conventions, but they are still tons of fun. Here are five top reasons out of the many reasons why Comic Cons are so great.

1. Shopping and Free Stuff

Who doesn't love free stuff?! Comic Cons usually have an area that is dedicated to free stuff, and this is usually where people go first because it can include cool objects such as posters, comic books, toys, etc. Shopping is also an option at Comic Cons. There are a variety of booths dedicated to different TV shows, movies, comics, art, etc. There is always something you can find at a Comic Con that is sure to fit your interests. When going through these booths, you can't help but think “I need all of this!” (even if you actually don't need all of it).

2. Cosplay

As a person who just loves to dress up as fictional characters, it is amazing to see what kind of costumes people create or dress up in. People really go all out because of how passionate they are about a character, and it's quite impressive! Also, it's just fun to dress up as a fictional character. I see it as a way to express how much love you have for that character, TV show, comic or anything really.

3. Celebrity Guests

Nothing is more exciting than meeting your idols! Seriously, this is where crazy fans go insane. These guests can include TV and movie actors, voice actors and comic book artists. I remember going to my first Comic Con panel where I got the chance to see one of my favorite actresses, Jenna Coleman, and I was trying my hardest to stay calm. I couldn't believe the actress I've watched over and over on one of my favorite TV shows, Doctor Who, was in the same room as me.This person I looked up to so much is a real person, and I was a couple of rows from her. The amazing thing about these panels besides getting to learn more about these guests is that fans can get in line to ask questions to the guest celebrity, or you're like me in that you get all nervous and forget how to speak. You're also able to pay money to get either an autograph or photo with your idols. Plus, it's pretty amazing to go back home, watch a show and excitedly say “I saw them in person!”.

4. Friendships

It's absolutely amazing when you are able to share your geeky interests with people you are friends with. Comic Con is a great place to go with friends and just express the excitement of anything geeky. Even if you don't have anyone to go with, Comic Cons are a great place to meet new people and build new friendships. There is always someone who shares the same love for a show, comic, movie etc. You'll share lots of smiles, laughs and best of all, you will make so many memories.

5. Being Yourself

One of the best things about Comic Con is being able to express who you are without any judgement from others. There really is a sense of community at Comic Cons, because people are understanding of your geeky interests. People are not afraid to proclaim what they love, share their opinions and make conversation with strangers about similar interests. Being comfortable with just being yourself along with other people who are being themselves feels like home.

There are many other reasons why comic conventions are great and so much fun. If you're a person who considers themselves a “geek,” I truly recommend that you attend a Comic Con because they are that great.