5 Reasons Why Being Adopted Is A Blessing

When someone's mistake turns into another's blessing.

44

"Sorry Alli, you're adopted."

Okay so it didn't exactly happen like the dog vine.

Ever since I was little, I had a relationship with my birth parents. My birth parents call me on my birthday, they come to visit every once in a while, and they always support me. My birth mother was a sophomore in college, trying to get her life together. Then boom. I was born. I never blamed my birth mother or birth father for not keeping me. In fact, I have an incredible amount of respect for the two of them. They each have their separate lives. They are married and happy with their own children. I know that if they would have tried to make it work for me, it would have been hard for all three of us. When I tell people I'm adopted, I always get funny look and crazy questions/remarks.

"Do you know your 'real' parents?"

"Can they take you back?"

"Are you mad at them for not keeping you?"

"You're lying, you look just like your mom!"

For some people, being adopted is a touchy subject. This is understandable, given the usual circumstances. My birth parents and my family still have a very strong relationship, and for that I could not be more thankful. As I get older, I thank them for giving me up for adoption. Not only did it change their lives, but it also changed mine for the best.

Because I was adopted:

1. I have an amazing family.

My family has provided me with so much love and support. They gave up free time to help me with homework, drive me to practices, and attend meetings and events. Not only do my mom and dad have a huge impact on me, but my sister and brother double as my best friends. They always protect me, give me advice and make me laugh, no matter the situation. I wouldn't trade my family for anything.

2. I have the best friends.

I couldn't imagine life without my friends. I don't know know what I would do without them by my side. They have seen me at my best and my worst. All my friends have different traits I admire. They are all my 'person(s).' No matter the distance, they are irreplaceable.

3. I go to a prestigious school.

If I didn't live in Illinois, I would have no clue what Bradley University is. Bradley University has given me so many opportunities. I excelled in so many areas of education. I've met some amazing professors and leaders, and I'm a part of the best organization - Pi Beta Phi. Pi Phi has given me incredible friendships and I also earned hold an exec position.

4. I've had unbelievable real-world experiences.

Traveling, meeting new people, trying new foods, learning about new cultures are really what the journey of life is about. I've seen so many different places and things that I never expected to see.

5. I have an incredible internship.

I'm a public relations intern at the Peoria Boy Scouts. Although this isn't my ideal job, it has taught me a lot. The work I do has given me a lot of experience in the public relations world. Working for them has allowed me to network with some great people in Peoria, as well as accomplish things I will be doing everyday when I get a 'big girl job.'

Adoption doesn't always have to have a negative connotation. If I wasn't adopted, I wouldn't have had any of these experiences. So thank you to my birth parents, who put me up for adoption.