6 Powerful House Of Cards Quotes That Will Make You A Better Leader | The Odyssey Online

6 Powerful House Of Cards Quotes That Will Make You A Better Leader

There. I've said it.

248
HuffingtonPost

As we all anxiously wait for Season Five of what is probably the greatest series on Netflix, let's all reminisce in what occurred in the last four seasons. House of Cards really does take you for a spin on the political culture in the modern world, and its accuracy is astounding. In a conversation with lead actor Kevin Spacey, former President Bill Clinton made this remark about the show, " Kevin, 99% of what you do on that show is real. The 1% you get wrong is you could never get an education bill passed that fast ." (BusinessInsider)

Personally, I find House of Cards so intriguing because of that accuracy. There's so much behind the scenes of one of the most powerful governments in the world, so the knowledge you can learn from that is astounding. Some of the quotes mentioned during the series really do open your eyes to the power and cruel side of life.

1. “Power is a lot like real estate. It's all about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the higher your property value.” (Season 1, Episode 1)

Everyone starts hundreds of miles away from the source of the power. Some people have to crawl to get there while others have an airplane. Regardless of how you get to the power, you always have to prove yourself that you're worthy of that power. As a saying goes, getting your foot in the door is one thing, but next, you have to prove you belong there.

2. "If you don't like how the table is set, turn the table." (Season 2, Episode 2)

There will be times in life where you don't have the best options and information at your disposal. Making decisions reflect on these two components specifically, but what makes decisions so difficult is their deceiving component, consequences. Consequences could affect either your options and/or information, so instead of changing your options and information, change the consequences and turn the table.

3. “Shake with your right hand, but hold a rock in the left.” (Season 2, Episode 5)

Trust is not given for free. Like everything else in life, you have to earn it. If you fail, then left arms could come out swinging, but that won't be much of a problem if you know how to duck. The people who are worthy of your trust are those you'd drop the rock for.

4. The road to power is paved with hypocrisy, and casualties. Never regret.” (Season 2, Episode 9)

Power is the most extreme and tedious goal to achieve especially the Leadership of the free world. Though I wouldn't know. However, this it what it seems like. When every single one of your competitors and their supporters makes it their sole objective to drive you down, you're going to have to give them someone to feed on. Unfortunately, there's no substitute method. I'm still working on finding that.

5. "You can't turn a no to a yes without a maybe in between." (Season 3, Episode 3)

The art of negotiations and persuasions where words can really speak louder than actions. To get what you want, you have to know the people who have want you want because we live in a world where's everything's limited. It's survival of the fittest.

6. "We don't submit to terror. We make the terror." (Season 4, Episode 13)

Power is the ability to make another's fears reality, but in order to have true power, you need control. In order to have control, you need support. In order to have support, you need trust.

That's how the people who crawl to power stay in power.