5 Positive Stories You Probably Didn't Hear in the News

When times are tough, we need to remember the positive.
33

The past few weeks in the news have been especially dark and somber. With everything going on in the world, it may seem like only bad things are happening. Sometimes you need a reminder that good things are also happening amidst all the bad ones, so here are a few positive things that happened this past week.

1. Brocktoberfest

Seven-year-old, Brock Hardwick, was recently diagnosed with a rare spine and brain cancer. Because Halloween is his favorite holiday, his mother came up with Brocktoberfest where Halloween is celebrated every day of October. Brock has so far received 1,000 Halloween cards and care packages from strangers to brighten his journey.

2. "Housing Our Heroes"

San Diego recently accomplished its goal of finding housing for 1,000 homeless veterans. The "Housing Our Heroes" initiative is now expanding to help non-veterans also find rental housing.

3. Pay it Forward

An anonymous customer offered to pay for the next fifty-nine customers at a local diner in Maine; one meal for every life lost in the Las Vegas shooting. He left his credit card number with the diner and was charged for the fifty-nine customers after him in order to spread goodwill and remind others that we need to help each other.

4. NFL Rookie Helps Harvey Victims

Deshaun Watson, a rookie quarterback gave his first NFL check to three women affected by Hurricane Harvey. The three women worked in the team cafeteria and Watson knew they needed help, so he distributed approximately $27,353 to the three women.

5. Malala Goes to College

Nearly five years after Malala Yousafzai was shot in the head for going to school, she begins her career at Oxford University.

While there is a lot of violence and negativity in the world, it is also important to remember that there is good and positivity in the world. The good in the world always will prevail over the bad.