5 OVO Sound Artists You Should Be Listening To Besides Drake

5 OVO Sound Artists You Should Be Listening To (Besides Drake)

Highlighting the talented artists that work with the biggest hit maker of 2018, Aubrey Drake Graham

514
@ovosound Instagram

Some of the biggest hits of 2018 came out of OVO Sound. That's right, Drake's impeccable and talented team at OVO Sound have been taking over the music industry, and not just this year. The Canadian record label was created only five years ago in 2012 by Drake, producer Noah "40" Shebib, and manager Oliver El-Khatib. They have had huge successes with The Grammys and other industry awards, as well as the popular OVO Sound Radio show on Apple Music, where Drake and other artists premier their new music. I am here to highlight some of my favorite artists and songs I think you should all be bopping along to.

1. DVSN

I remember when I first heard of DVSN. It was on SoundCloud and they only had two songs. No one knew anything about them, besides their name, DVSN. Was it one, two, maybe three people? Where were they from? How were the songs so perfect? Were they new to the music biz or veterans who have secretly joined forces to create a supergroup? It was all so mysterious.

The first song I fell in love with was 'With Me'. The beat was slow, yet powerful. It was seductive, and once the vocals started, whew chile! The singer, who turned out to be Toronto based Daniel Daley, sang with such passion in his tone. He began with gentle whispers and croons, which blended flawlessly into raspy runs full of urgency and an insane falsetto.

Soon after, 'Hallucinations' was released. My all-time favourite song of theirs. Once again the beat was insane and it hooked me straight away. It wrapped around from ear to ear, surrounding me. The second half of the duo, Toronto producer Nineteen85, has been nominated for three Grammys and produced 'One Dance', 'Hotline Bling', Travis Scott's 'Coffee Bean' and Khalid's 'OTW'.

The vocals were once again flawless. The lyrics were expressive and visual. The vocals and beat move together like a passionate dance. They released their first album, 'SEPT. 5TH' in 2016 and their second, 'Morning After' in 2017 and DVSN just keep getting better and better.

2. Roy Woods

I can't wait for Roy Woods to blow up. He has just been getting better and better, and when I saw him opening for Drake and Migos in November this year, his stage presence and vibe confirmed my inkling. He has the potential. He has the tracks, he was dancing really well, interacting with the crowd, and even all the way in the back, my friend - who had never even heard of him, was vibing out and having so much fun during his set.

Woods first hit song was 'Drama' featuring Drake. You could say, if you were feeling generous, that Kylie Jenner assisted with his career taking off. Back when she was the Snapchat queen, she would post airy videos of herself quietly mouthing lyrics to her newest favorite songs, and 'Drama' was one of them. Of course, he was already signed and the song did feature Drake, which we know has a massive impact for up and coming artists.

'Drama' is a pretty good song, but then I discovered 'Get You Good', a steamy song with a strong beat, and it has stayed one of my favourite songs by him. He croons, growls and breathes the sensual lyrics backed by an intense beat.

In 2017, he released 'Say Less', his first official album after a few EPs and mixtapes. It really stood out as a great body of work with plenty of potential hits, such as 'Something New', 'Take Time', and 'Bb'. I'm genuinely confused as to why these tracks aren't all over the radio.

Extra track: Gwan Big Up Urself

3. Majid Jordan

Majid Jordan is yet another male duo formed in Toronto, consisting of Majid Al Maskati and Jordan Ullman. Again there is a singer, Majid, and a producer, Jordan. The group formed in 2011 and in 2013, they were featured on Drake's 'Hold On, We're Going Home'.

Soon after, they released their first album, 'A Place Like This' that features one of my favourite tracks, 'Her'.

Their sound is fun and upbeat and makes you want to instantly dance. Even their slower songs still have an edge that makes you bop along to the beat. You can tell Jordan understands how to put music together on a higher level than your everyday producer.

Majid Jordan's second, self-titled album also had a number of hits with 'My Love' featuring Drake, 'Something About You', and 'Phases'. They have also been named as producers/co-producers on many tracks such as Beyoncé's 'Mine', Drake's 'Feel No Ways' and 'Childs Play', and DJ Khaled's 'For Free'.

4. PartyNextDoor

I have so much to say about PND but I'll try and keep it brief. This man is a genius. He has written some of the biggest hits of the past few years. He sings, raps, writes and produces. Think 'Wild Thoughts', 'Work' and 'Sex With Me' by Rihanna, 'Shining' by Beyoncé & Jay Z, 'Preach', 'With You' and 'U With Me' by Drake. He's worked with Usher on 'Let Me' and is even credited on Ye's 'Wouldn't Leave' and 'Ghost Town'. The list is endless, especially since there are reference tracks leaked every now and then of him singing other artists songs where he is not credited, which makes me wonder what else he has written.

Now let's get back to his own singles. He doesn't give all the magic away. Some of his earlier songs are still in my playlists, such as 'Break From Toronto' and 'Wus Good/Curious'. His aggressively sexual lyrics seemed to be what peeped listeners interest at the start of his career, but since developing his style, he tapped into his Jamaican and Trinidadian background and created for himself and others more of a dancehall/reggae style of music. He still crafts those slow and sensual melodies but also has a bunch of songs with fun, upbeat rhythms that make you just want to move your hips.

And if you still aren't sure, you might recognize some of his feature verses: 'Still Got Time' with Zayn, 'Run Up' with Nicki Minaj and Major Lazer, or 'Nuh Ready, Nuh Ready' by Calvin Harris.

5. Popcaan

If this song doesn't make you want to enjoy a beverage on a boat during a hot summer's day I don't know what will. It's only just been announced that Popcaan will be signed to OVO Sound in 2019, so technically he isn't signed yet, but he has been closely linked to the gang for years.

His 'Unruly Rave' music video was filmed in Toronto with the OVO crew, and it seemed Popcaan has heavily influenced Drake's music, especially the IYRTITL mixtape where Drizzy used Popcaans slang and even referenced his songs. Popcaan was featured on the outro of 'Know Yourself' and more recently, the leaked version on Drake's 'Controlla' a few months before the official version was released with Beenie Man. And in 2017, he travelled with Drake as the opening act for the Europe leg of 'Boy Meets World' tour. He has also been heavily featured on the OVO Sound radio show on Apple Music.

But Popcaan was already making moves without Drake. In 2015, Popcaan had a major hit with Jamie XX on 'I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)' and in 2016, he featured on English AlunaGeroge's 'I'm In Control'. He has heaps of his own singles such as 'We Still A Win (World Cup)' and 'Ova Dweet' that made waves in his home country of Jamacia and internationally.