5 Other Famous Armenians Besides The Kardashians

The Kardashians aren't the only famous Armenians around.

134
Cosmopolitan

The first thing an Armenian hears once they reveal their nationality to another person is usually something along the lines of, "Oh, like the Kardashians?"

And then they have to just smile and casually nod their head in agreement without getting into an argument with a stranger they just met.

And as an Armenian, this can be slightly infuriating.

Just to be clear, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Kardashians. They're hardworking people who made a name for themselves in an industry that constantly tries to tear people down. I am even guilty of tuning into all-day marathons of their reality show and following them on snapchat. But Armenians do not want to be associated with just the Kardashians when there are so many other famous Armenians who have made some extraordinary contributions to society, some of which you may have already heard of.

So, if you encounter another Armenian in your life and are so tempted to say how they're like the Kardashians, immediately stop and replace "the Kardashians" with any of the following names:

1. Cher

Yes, Cher is Armenian. You can tell by her full name, Cherilyn Sarkisian. Cher is mainly known for her singing and acting, but has an impressive and extensive career. And if you haven't heard any of her chart-topping singles, you're missing out.

2. System of a Down

All four members of this heavy-metal rock band are of Armenian descent. Since their formation in 1994, they have made five studio albums, three of which made it to number one in the "Billboard 200." Not bad for a few guys from Glendale, California.

3. Andy Serkis

You probably know this award-winning actor from his role as Gollum in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and other famous computer-generated characters. Serkis is incredibly talented at bringing his characters to life in his films and I highly recommend that you watch them if you haven't already.

4. Andre Agassi

This (presently retired) American professional tennis player was once World No. 1 of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) from 1999 to 2000. Throughout his career, he has won many Grand Slams Singles and other tours. This athleticism runs in his family, his father (who is also Armenian) was also a former Olympic boxer for Iran.

5. William Saroyan

William Saroyan is an Armenian-American playwright and author. He was even awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1940 for his novel, "The Human Comedy" which was later adapted into a film. Throughout his life, he has written many novels, plays, and short stories that are still read and admired today.

Though I've only given five, there are so many other famous Armenians in business, politics, science, and other fields, that have accomplished so much.

So, the next time you meet an Armenian, you can say how they're like one of these renowned Armenians above instead of just the Kardashians. And this saves us the trouble of having to stop ourselves from explaining that the Kardashians are not the only well-known Armenians around.