Five Must See's In New England

Five Must See's In New England

Five places that make me proud to be a New Englander.

23
Five Must See's In New England
Angela Renzi

Whether you have lived in the Northeast region of the country your entire life, or are just looking to come here for a visit, New England is home to some of the most intriguing and beautiful places you could ever hope to see in your lifetime. Ranging from hidden gems, to more well- known spots, here is a list of 5 unique areas I have personally been to that all bring an original component to the Northeast and make me proud to be a, "New Englander."

1. Acadia National Park

Two words. "Stunning scenery." Holding the title of the very first Eastern United States National Park, Acadia is located on Mount Desert Island along the coast of Maine and spans an immense 47,000 acres. This one- of- a kind National Park is comprised of woodland, beach area, and breathtaking mountains such as Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the Atlantic coast. In addition to Cadillac Mountain, Schoodic Point is located within the park and the perfect place to hike, explore, and just watch the ocean waves. No matter where you are in Acadia National Park, you are sure to have a beautiful view of all the sights that surround you.

2. deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum, Lincoln Massachusetts

It wasn't until I visited Lincoln, Massachusetts for a class field trip that I even knew of this extraordinary museum/park's existence. Uniquely combining contemporary art alongside an outside park, this spot is a must- see for anyone that enjoys thought- provoking art and a simple walk in the park. This place is truly the largest park of its kind and features over 60 sculptures. While the outside park is amazing, the inside museum is just as worth seeing, showcasing a variety of rotating exhibitions.

Pictured below is a photo collage I made after my visit to the park including a painting and three sculptures.

3. Old Port, Portland Maine

Located on the Southeast side of the Portland Peninsula, the Old Port is a historic part of the Downtown Portland District. With numerous stores, boutiques, small galleries, restaurants, and bars, the Old Port is never short of activities to partake in or cobblestone streets to walk on. Outside of the stores, there are also fishing ports accompanied with a beautiful view of the Portland Waterfront and different, unique sights. These include a segment of the Berlin Wall, and Love Locks; a fence covered with a vast amount of locks all holding a different meaning of love for each individual, a reminder that even when the world seems full of hate, love can still be found.

4. Oldies Marketplace, Newburyport Massachusetts

It may seem odd that a marketplace is on this list, but I guarantee you this is a marketplace like no other. Not only does Oldies provide you with an indoor and outdoor shopping experience right next to Newburyport's waterfront, but it is also stocked with a number of unique finds. These include; old posters, vinyl records, furniture, jewelry, fine art, collectible toys, and much much more. The amount of rare gems you are likely to find at Oldies is so high that they literallly fill up an entire large red barn. Whether you are shopping for yourself or buying a gift, Oldies has a quantity of quality original products, and one...or two...or more, are sure to catch your eye!

5. Stowe/Waterbury Vermont

These neighboring towns are filled with so many unique spots that I debated which to put on this list. Ultimately, I decided it was too difficult to choose and just to include them all. In addition to the beautiful mountains and various resorts in Stowe, also situated there is the Trapp Family Lodge, which was once home to the real Von Trapp family. Today, there are tours given every day at the Trapp Family Lodge in which you can learn more about the famous family's history and where they once lived. For all of you beer- lovers out there, Waterbury is home to some of the finest craft breweries in the entire country including the well known "Heady Topper", located at The Alchemist Beer Brewery. Last, but certainly not least, no visit to Waterbury is complete without a trip to Ben and Jerry's for a factory tour. Not only can you learn more about the ice cream manufacturing process, and the two friends that started it all, but you can also try their delicious ice cream! #TeamHalfbaked.