10 Best Things About Growing Up In Massachusetts

As much as I can't wait for college, my heart will always belong to my home state.

667
ninezero.com

Today is my last day in Massachusetts before I begin the next chapter of my life in Pennsylvania. Largely nostalgic at heart, moving out of the state I was born and raised in has made me reflect on my eighteen years here. I compiled a list of my ten favorite things about growing up here in Massachusetts to share with MA natives and out-of-towners alike.

1. Boston sports

It's no secret that Boston is notorious for sports teams with cult-like followings. This isn't for nothing; Boston teams are pretty great. Not only do they usually perform well, but they are special in the regard that they represent not just Massachusetts, but New England. The Boston Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and New England Patriots have a widespread following across the northeast, and that is a fan base to be beat. Season ticket holders are easy to find in this corner of the country, and it is fairly difficult to find a car that doesn't have some kind of Boston sports sticker on its bumper. We are serious about our sports here, and that forms the kind of community bond that cannot be broken. Jimmy Fallon even starred in a movie about it.

2. Dunkin' on every corner

Move over, Starbucks. Here in Massachusetts, we run on Dunkin Donuts. Turn a corner, Dunkin. Take a drive, hey look! Another Dunkin! Craving a Pumpkin Spice Latte? Nah, that's a Dunkin. The sheer number of DDs in any giving area is enough to give you a headache. A good remedy for that, of course, is a nice coffee from Dunkin. With over 1,000 locations in a fairly small state, you can't not learn to love Dunkin. Listen up, future MA college students. This is your future I'm talking about.

3. Big cities

Massachusetts is home to some pretty awesome cities, namely, Boston. An incredible city right on the water, Boston is a major tourist attraction, as well as a great day trip if you live a T ride away. With an extensive list of places to visit, such as the Museum of Science, Boston Public Library, the North End and the New England Aquarium, no day spent in the city is a dull one.

4. Small towns

Small towns make Massachusetts the quirky, charming state it is. From coastal destinations, like Rockport, pictured above, to historically prominent Lexington, the unique towns that the state boasts are each worthy of visiting for a plethora of reasons.

5. Places uniquely ours

Boston is home to quite a few successful companies, two of which I am going to miss immensely while I am out-of-state. Emack and Bolio's, a chain of grassroots ice cream shops based out of Boston, has made a home out of Massachusetts since 1975, three years before Ben and Jerry's was founded. With locations from Newbury Street in Boston to Chatham, Cape Cod, E&B's is my favorite place to stop in and get a cone on a hot day. Newbury Comics, also a Boston-based company, is the best place for the five people (including me) who still buys CDs. I am going to miss running over to Newbury Comics to browse their impressive selection of quirky finds.

6. Historical sights

It took me 18 years, but I have finally realized how lucky I am to have grown up in an area with such a rich history. I only have a short drive to iconic sites such as Walden Pond, the Grist Mill, and the Wayside Inn. Twenty minutes away from my house is the Old North Bridge, is a historical site in the Battle of Concord, the first day of battle in the American War of Independence. In this park, you are quite literally walking through history. On the coast is historical Plimoth, where the pilgrims first landed. While it made for some then-boring field trips in elementary school, I have been blessed with growing up in a state steeped in sites vital to this country's history.

7. New England fall

8. Lingo

Welcome to Massachusetts, where those sugary bits you sprinkle on ice cream are called jimmies, where there is a distinct difference between a milkshake and a frappe, and where you vacation on 'the Cape,' not 'Cape Cod.' People from here are wicked proud of their traditions, including the Boston lingo; most of the time, we don't even realize when we use one of these words around those from somewhere else in the world (until they point it out, as they always do). Making use of this special lingo helps bring a little piece of home to you wherever you are. Get ready, Pennsylvania.

9. Fun town names nobody can pronounce

If you think this is hard, try driving around here.

10. Pride

What I love most about Massachusetts is the sense of unity felt between the people who live here. In the face of tragedy, the people of Boston come together as an unstoppable force, healing and helping those around them. In moments of joy, Bostonians rejoice as a huge community. People from Massachusetts are proud of where they came from, and this pride is evident to anyone who comes to visit the state. We may not be the best drivers, but we stick together during tough times, and support our fellow Sox fans. While I will not physically be in Massachusetts for the majority of this coming year, my heart will always be back in my home state, with the community I grew up a part of. We have proven ourselves unbreakable. We are content with who we are. We are Boston Strong.