5 Most Iconic Sports Trophies

5 Most Iconic Sports Trophies

There is nothing in the world the signifies success like a trophy, and for athletes, the time, effort, and dedication put in to perfecting a craft culminates in getting a trophy showing off your greatness.

317
5 Most Iconic Sports Trophies

It is hard enough to make it into professional sports, let alone, win a championship signifying your accomplishments for the world to see. But in some sports, some trophies either have more meaning, a deeper history, or are just more special than others. In the NHL, they gave out what is now the first official American professional sports trophy, in what is now known as the Stanley Cup Trophy. These five trophies are some of the most historic trophies in all of American sports, and epitomize what it means to be a champion.

5. Commissioner's Trophy (MLB)

Washington Nationals

With the most scheduled dates of any of the 4 major professional American sports, winning the Commissioner's Trophy after winning the World Series, is something that every player who has ever crossed the foul line into a game in the MLB has always wanted to do.

In 1967, after the St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Boston Red Sox to win the World Series, they were given the World Series Trophy, now named Commissioner's Trophy.

The New York Yankees have the most Commissioner's Trophies with 7.

The Washington Nationals were the most recent team to win their first Commissioner's Trophy, just last year in 2019.

7 teams have never won the Commissioner's Trophy, Tampa Bay Rays, Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Colorado Rockies, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, and Cleveland Indians.

Cleveland has won a World Series (1948) but that win came before teams were awarded the Commissioner's Trophy.

4. Harley J Earl Trophy (Daytona 500)

Denny Hamlin

Considered on of the heaviest trophies in all of sports, weighing in at about 54 pounds, the Harley J Earl Trophy, named after Harley J Earl, who is considered the father of the modern Corvette design, and his prototype design sits atop the trophy, is given to drivers who win the Daytona 500 at the Daytona International Speedway.

The original trophy stays at Daytona USA museum, located across the street from the speedway, but drivers can a 1:1 scale size replica they can keep for themselves.

45 different drivers have won the Harley J Earl Trophy, with Richard Petty having the most with 7.

Denny Hamlin is the most recent winner of the Harley J Earl Trophy, and has won 3 of the last 5 Daytona 500's.

Austin Dillon was the driver to most recently win his first Harley J Earl Trophy back in 2018.

3. Stanley Cup (NHL)

St. Louis Blues

The oldest trophy in all of sports, commissioned back in 1892, the Stanley Cup was first given out the Montreal Hockey Club.

Much like with the Harley J Earl Trophy, the original Stanley Cup is on display at the NHL Hall of Fame, but the display trophy, which most fans recognize, is what is given to teams when they receive the trophy following a victory in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Montreal Canadians have the most Stanley Cup's as they have won the Stanley Cup Finals 24 times, with their last win coming in 1993

The St. Louis Blues were the team to most recently win the Stanley Cup for the first time, last year in 2019.

10 teams have never won the Stanley Cup, most notably, in their expansion year, the Las Vegas Golden Knights lost in the Stanley Cup Finals in 5 games.

2. Borg Warner Trophy (Indianapolis 500)

Simon Pagenaud

In 1936, during a dinner prior to the 24th running of the Indianapolis 500, the track was presented with what is now known as the Borg-Warner Trophy, which is presented to the driver who wins the Indianapolis 500.

Driver's are given a minature replica after winning the race, but later on in the year are presented with the winning trophy.

Aj Foyt, Al Unser, and Rick Mears are the most winningest drivers of the iconic trophy, but in 2020, Helio Castroneves has a chance to add his name with his fourth Indianapolis 500 win.

Simon Pagenaud was the driver to most recently win the Borg-Warner trophy, with his win in the 2019 Indianapolis 500.

One thing about the trophy that makes it unique, is after each race, a model of the driver's head is added to the trophy, meaning the on the Borg-Warner trophy, is the face of ever winner from 1935-2019.

1. Vince Lombardi Trophy (NFL)

Patrick Mahomes II

In 1966, famous jewelry manufacturer, Tiffany & Co. sketched, and created the Vince Lombardi Trophy, which is awarded to teams that win the Super Bowl.

The trophy was named the World Football Championship Trophy, but was renamed to the Vince Lombardi Trophy in 1970 to honor the former Green Bay Packers coach, who lost his life following a battle with cancer in 1970.

The New England Patriots, and Pittsburgh Steelers each have 6 Lombardi Trophies, the most of any NFL team.

The Seattle Seahawks are the most recent team to win their first Super Bowl, after defeating the Denver Broncos in 2013.

The Kansas City Chiefs most recently won the Vince Lombardi Trophy, after defeating the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV

12 teams have never won the Lombardi Trophy, with 8 of those getting to the big game, but never winning it.