5 Misconceptions Of Paganism

5 Misconceptions Of Paganism

What is paganism?

1696
5 Misconceptions Of Paganism

Living in the Bible Belt means seeing a church on every street, steeples rising to meet the sky. You are bound to hear phrases such as "Bless your heart," "God bless you," and my favorite, "It's in God's hands." So being pagan throws people off because they don't understand what it entails or rather they automatically start judging and I become an evil person. Now, I don't just butt into a conversation and rant about what I believe in, but I do have tattoos that are pagan and witchy. I also wear a pentacle around my neck. People are curious, so I answer truthfully when asked what a certain tattoo or piece of jewelry represents. The Pagan Federation Organization defines paganism as a polytheistic or pantheistic nature-worshipping religion.

Most people automatically think I am a devil worshiper, which is so very far from the truth. After explaining myself to people, I have had a few that tried to save my soul with the word of God. Some have told me I was on a one-way train headed straight to the pits of hell. I had an older lady who frequently shopped at the convenience store I managed. I waited on her for a year before she asked about my tattoos. Now, up until this point she only wanted me to wait on her. Well after finding out I was pagan, her attitude changed towards me drastically. She didn't want me to wait on her and if she had no other choice she laid her money on the counter instead of putting the money in my open hand. I guess she thought I would contaminate her with my paganism. She even went as far as to making her grandson wait in the car because she was afraid I might hex him. But the real funny thing is that she had the gall to ask me to analyze a reoccurring dream she was having. She thought God and the devil were each fighting for her soul as she innocently slept. So I think it's important for people to understand paganism.

I have compiled a list of the five major misconceptions of paganism to help other understand us better:

I. We don't believe in the devil or hell.

So you won't find us hovering over the bloody corpse of a sacrifice on a full moon. Most of us love animals more than we do people and we would never think of hexing a child!

2. We are humans too!

We are not going to turn into a blood-sucking vampire attacking late at night in hopes of turning you. We have jobs and are just as tired as the Christian climbing into bed. We believe in tolerance and having an open mind. I promise we can't infect you with paganism just by touching our hand.

3. We believe in nature and protecting Mother Nature.

Usually we are considered hippies, tree huggers, and environmental activists.

4. We believe in energy and being able to harness that energy when needed through meditation, gardening, and nature walks.

Since our souls are made of energy, we believe death allows our souls to return to the original source of energy.

5. We don't have to go to a church every Sunday to feel close to the divine because we find the divine in the beauty of nature.

The green leaves of a tree swaying in a light breeze. We believe the divine is a part of us.

Blessed Be!