5 Things Every Midwest College Student Thinks When They Return Home for the Summer

Whether you went a few states away or you went all the way to the coast, coming home is always filled with great times.

10

Every student has some things they look forward to when they come home from college for the summer. But, for those of us who have decided to go to school out of state—specifically those of us who decided to go more than a day's drive away from home—coming home involves a long list of amazing things. In my opinion, no matter how far away from home you are, the best part of coming home is being able to see the people you love, but here are a few other things I love about coming home.

1. Seeing the beautiful countryside you grew up loving.

There is nothing quite like seeing your first sunset back in your state after months away at school. The fact that you can drive for hours and see nothing but countryside may have been irritating to you before college, but you have a fresh appreciation for it when you come back.

2. Finally being able to go to restaurants that aren't found anywhere else.

If you're driving home, you are likely to start realizing that you are finally back in the Midwest when your favorite regional chains start to show up. Whether it's Culver's, Fazoli's, Pizza Ranch, or any other amazing chain not found anywhere but the Midwest, one of these restaurants may be your first stop when you get home.

3. Having a home cooked meal of foods never found in the dining hall.

This may be something that people everywhere think they feel, but they're not eating things like beer-boiled brats, pulled pork or fresh corn on the cob. It is completely acceptable to beg your family to make—or to make yourself—your favorite regional meals everyday for the first few weeks you're back.

4. Getting ready for all the outdoor activities the summer will bring.

Everyone knows that camping, four-wheeling, swimming and everything else fun there is to do in the summer is way more fun in the Midwest than anywhere else. The beautiful nature that surrounds us everywhere in the Midwest provides the best summer playground possible for everyone—especially for those of us who just spent the last eight months working our butts off to make it through the year.

5. Your "accent" is no longer considered an accent.

I cannot even keep track of all the things I have been told I say "weirdly" but I know that when I come home I will be surrounded by people who would never question the way I pronounce "roof" as "ruff", or "milk" as either "milk" or "melk" depending on the day.

While I truly love my college and all of my wonderful friends there, there isn't anything quite like coming home to this beautiful place I call home.