5 LGBTQ Web Comics For Beginners

5 LGBTQ Web Comics For Beginners

A quick toe dip into warm queer waters.

22
5 LGBTQ Web Comics For Beginners
Ry-Spirit

I’ll admit it. I love comics! I fell in love with them at the first sight of Cat Women in the window of the local comic store. As I looked into the window, she was doing a flying kick right towards me and I was engulfed by her presence. I only had a few dollars to my name in middle school but I saved my pennies and bought Cat Women or Witchblade comics as much as I could. By the time I was in college I had a pretty impressive collection of comics, videogames, and magic cards. The nerd blood flowed within me and I bathed in it, until college that is.

Once I began college, I found it hard to find time for comics and video games. The comic book stoe had closed down and I no longer had time to travel to get new comics. So, I placed my love for comics aside and began reading my text books on my commutes to and from school. Then during my sophomore year, I was introduced to the wonderful world of web comics. The convenience and prevalent of diverse characters in web comics is a sign of the times. It feels good to read stories about characters that look and act like you. For the beginner it can be a bit overwhelming. So it is with great pleasure that I introduce you to some great webcomics to start with. Please note that not all of these are safe for work but I chose the comics in which characters seemed multifaceted and that had at least 50 pages or so to enjoy. The list is as follows:

Agents of the Realm

Do you know what was missing from Sailor Moon? Diversity. All of the girls look the same except for the fact that they have different outfits and haircuts. So in order to add some diversity to the mix, I have you covered with Agents of the Realm by Louis Milderd. The girls in Milderd's comic are ethnically diverse, and all in college (like you). The colors and the action in this comic are on point. I admit that the story is not that different from other magical girl storylines but that’s what makes it enjoyable. It's like that old sweat shirt from high school, you have new ones but, you go back to the one you love the most. Sailor Moon just got more colorful.

O Human Starr

Looking for a little less fantasy and more of a Scifi look now further then check out O Human Starr by Blue Delliquanti. Without getting too into detail, lets just say that Al wakes up after being dead for years to a world where robots and humans live together. A world he created being a robotic genius and all. The mystery is who resurrected Al in a robot body of all things. This comic is delightful. The way in which the plot is crafted and the strong relationships between characters will pull you through this 250 page epic.

What's Normal Anyway

If you are into LGBTQ stories then read What's Normal Anyway by Morgan Boecher. It's a comedy about being a trans man.

Khaos Komix

So, I have given you action and comedy but where is the love? If you're looking for a good coming of age love story then check out Khaos Komic by Tab Artemis Kimpton. Its about 8 British students in “Uni” (college) navigating love, friendship, sexuality and gender. I like all of the stories but, Tom and Alex are my favorite. Alex is a nerd and Tom is a badass. Whats not to love?

The Less Than Epic Adventure of T.J. and Amal

Ready for an adventure? Take a long road trip with Amal and the drifter he found in his kitchen one day. In The Less Than Epic Adventure of T.J. and Amal by E.K. Weaver takes place after Amal calls off his wedding, comes out to his parents and gets disowned. Amal gets wasted at a bar and apparently makes a deal to drive T.J (the drifter) the 3,500 miles from Berkley to Providence. It’s cool, because T.J promises to pay for all the gas, food, and overnight stays.

Smoke, Furt and Stone

Of all the comics I recommend this last one is the most mature. It contains sex, violence, non-human relationships. That being said the writing is really good. It also helps that the writer is very active in comments. It’s a sexy comic with a graphic art style that I adore. I saved this one for last because there comes a time for every beginner when they are going to need to upgrade. When you're ready, the romance between a Gargoyle and a Werewolf is a very cool level up.