5 Lessons I Learned After Freshman Year

5 Lessons I Learned After Freshman Year

You have to make some mistakes, before you can reach your full potential!

3
5 Lessons I Learned After Freshman Year

1. Everything Is Not Meant For You

Life is hard and competitive. As a premedical student, I have learned that everything is not meant for me to have a part in. One of my friends received an amazing opportunity to shadow a cardiothoracic doctor and I was wondering why it was so hard for me to find one. Then, I realized that I am involved and I have an overload of classes. As much as it would probably be great to shadow a cool surgery, it might end up hurting me in the end. I might lose studying time or might miss an event that I have to be at. Therefore, I have learned that if I do not get something there is usually a reason. It's usually because I actually need to be working on something else in my life. In life, a lot of the times we like to rush progress and always move to the next thing without completing what we originally started on. Not getting everything that you want, allows you to look at your priorities and finish things that you might not have otherwise completed. Therefore, do not get upset. Understand that these things happen and it is usually for the best.

2. People Really Do Not Care What You Wear To Class

At my high school, there was always a priority to dress nice. In college, no one cares if you show up in your birthday suit or an actual suit. You might get a couple of looks if you do come to class naked, but no one is going to make a big deal about it. Most of college is procrastinating, staying up late, and eating until you cannot eat anymore. Therefore, what you wear is low down on the list of priorities. Many kids show up to class after pulling an all-nighter in the library or rolling out of bed. Therefore, no one cares if you wear your tracksuit.

3. It Is Good To Be Organized

Organization is key! There is no point in shoving papers in my bookbag because they will never be found. I have learned that if I do not write something down there is a slim chance that it will get done. Also, if I do not put professor's office hours in my calendar, I will forget to go even if I do need help with something. As such, I write things down in my planner, put things in my calendar on my phone, and put reminders on my phone. It keeps me organized and allows me to know what I am doing. I have also learned that having a notebook for each class is key at keeping all of my papers and homework together.

4. Not Watching TV on the Weekdays Make A Difference

Freshman year I watched television all the time. I watched it while I was doing work, I watched it before I went to bed, and I watched it anytime I was eating. My grades have went up, my concentration has improved, and I am definitely more proactive when I am not doing my work in front of the television. I only watch television on the weekends unless I am on a break. It definitely makes a difference, because I pay attention more and make sure that I am truly understanding the material in front of me.

5. Take Weekends For Yourself

During Freshman year, I used to spend the entire weekend doing work. I would never fully enjoy the weekend. It made the week to where I did not have to get any work done. But, I would always feel tired and never refreshed. It also did not help, because I would not be actively reviewing material during the week, because I would do all homework on the weekends. It was also definitely hard to get into a habit of studying before a test, because I would just study and do a lot of work on the weekends. Therefore, I would hate studying during the weekdays. I definitely spend the week during work and most of my weekends to myself. The only time I spend the weekends studying is the week before midterms and finals, but I am still mindful of myself and I take breaks!