5 Lessons I Learned At 4,000 Feet Above Sea Level

The top of a mountain is a perfect place for wisdom

324
Instagram

As an end-of-summer getaway, my family spent a weekend in Stowe, Vermont. While we were there, we spontaneously attempted to climb up to the summit of Mount Mansfield or the highest mountain in Vermont, which stands tall at 4,393 feet above sea level. As we scrabbled up the rocky surface, I learned some important life lessons:

1. Always wear sunscreen

Please wear it. You will need it. There is no doubt about this, ever, and if you have sunscreen in your bag, apply it even if the cool Vermont temperatures are tricking you into thinking that you are not burning to a crisp while walking right under the bright, mid-afternoon sun. My angry, painful chest sunburn is proof of this.

2. You can actually climb a mountain

Rock climbing, hiking, and walking up hills in general are not my usual activities. And although we didn’t quite make it to the peak, I was still able to scale most of Mt. Mansfield without moderate to extreme difficulty. Go me! If I did it, there is zero doubt that anyone else could do this.

3. Everyone can be a little fearless (well, almost everyone)

There were zero guard railings on this mountain. Not that there should be, but there wasn’t even a sign warning anyone that you could fall right off the face of the mountain, and some parents brought very afraid, very small children up there! I guess the state of Vermont isn’t that afraid of a potential lawsuit. I’m definitely a worrier, but choosing to be conscious instead of actively afraid really made a difference. However, my mom, whose panicked refrain at every turn on the craggy path was “I don’t think we should be doing this,” was very afraid, and so she chose to scoot back down the mountain on her butt.

4. It’s good to engage your sense of adventure every once in a while

There are only so many hours you can spend inside, in your bed, watching Netflix. I am a full proponent of that lifestyle to a certain extent. But although I loathe to admit it, going outdoors is just as refreshing and enjoyable even if you get sunburned. You will likely see some pretty cool sights. So go off the beaten path, even if you are just doing it for Instagram.

5. Go with the flow

I am not spontaneous. My family and I definitely weren’t planning to climb a mountain when we did, but we just went for it, and it turned out to be a really one-of-a-kind experience. The most fun moments often are the unplanned ones. Also, pro tip: leave your large purse with its menagerie of random junk at home. The lack of excess items will make climbing rocks easier.

Go forth and conquer your own mountain. Maybe it’ll be metaphorical, but please, apply sunscreen first. Just in case.