5 Things To Know When Making New Friends

Because making new friends is hard

205

Everyone has a hard time making new friends, it can be very stressful and sometimes nerve-wracking. Here are some tips to help you out if you have a hard time making friends.

1. Small talk is hard

When practically starting from phase one at a completely new place, also known as college, the last thing you want to do is be alone. Most people are sick of hearing the questions: "What's your major?" "Where are you from?" "Where are you living?" This eventually leads to that awkward, unavoidable silence. After those questions, stun the person with a weird question; like, what is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? Or, what's your favorite ice cream flavor? It'll definitely keep the conversation going.

2. The anxiety is real

When approaching a new person in a totally new environment, so many thoughts can be running through your mind. How do I start talking to them? Do I smile, or is that weird? What do I open up with? The stress is real and we've all been there.

3. Try to find a common ground

Something that seems to help us all is finding things in common with one another, it's what brings us together. It can serve as a basis for a potential friendship. Do you both love roller skating? Make it into a fun night!

4. Go with the flow

Once the dreadful icebreakers are over with, and you and your new friend are hitting it off, don't worry about what to say next. Go with the flow, take a deep breath. You made it.

5. Keep an open mind

Something that is very important to remember is that not everyone is like you. No person is the same, we come from different backgrounds, ethnicities, households, education, and so on. Being friends does involve having things in common, but it is also a two-way street. Never judge a person before getting to know them.