5 Hidden Gem Restaurants In Suffolk County

839
northforker.com

More and more often, big chain restaurants seem to be popping up all over the Island. Fast food signs light up the busy roads, and drive-thru lines are longer than ever before. However, there are so many better options than supporting a big chain company. Long Island is home to thousands of family-run businesses, and there's no slacking in the food department. Here are five restaurants hidden away that you may have yet to discover.

1. Lolly's Hut.

Driving past Lolly's Hut on Route 58, you wouldn't think much of it. It's a teeny tiny blue and white hut that looks out of place on the busy road in front of it. But let me tell you, do not let this place's outside appearance fool you, this restaurant is overflowing with great, home-made, and affordable breakfast and lunch. There's always a smiling face and plenty of bacon. Location: 1290 Old Country Rd, Riverhead, NY 11901.

2. Farm Country Kitchen.

Easily one of my personal favorites. Farm Country Kitchen is the epitome of a hidden gem. It's a re-done farm house facing the Peconic River that makes some of the best paninis and salads I've ever had. You can get away with lunch for under $15 and dinner always has a romantic and rustic feel. There's multiple places to eat, whether it be outside on the river, inside by the fireplace, or in the sun room with hundreds of fairy lights at dinner (a favorite touch of mine). Location; 513 W Main St, Riverhead, NY 11901.

3. Love Lane Kitchen.

Trying to choose a photo for this place was pretty hard, but this seems to capture Love Lane Kitchen's atmosphere the best. It's always jam-packed with people, something not as common in the quiet town of Mattituck. The dinner menu is based around locally produced ingredients, and breakfast is served until 2 p.m., for you brunch people out there. Location: 240 Love Ln, Mattituck, NY 11952.

4. Toast Coffeehouse.

The best way to describe Toast Coffeehouse is brunch heaven. There are two locations, one in Patchcgue and one in Port Jefferson (much smaller). This place has a hip, youthful vibe. The menu is unique but also has the classics like stuffed french toast and eggs benedict (my favorite). Make sure to make a reservation in advance, otherwise you will be waiting for a while, but it is worth the wait. Locations: 46 E. Main St, Patchogue, NY 11772; 242 E. Main St, Port Jefferson, NY 11777.

5. Golden Jalapenos Cafe.

Tex-Mex with a modern spin. Golden Jalapenos is located in the Calverton Commons, which can be easily missed if not familiar to the area. But don't miss it. This place has it all, from classic enchiladas and burritos, to three different styles of tacos with a meat of your choice, and a variety of soups, both hot and cold that vary by the season. Golden Jalapenos Cafe utilizes local produce and works it in to their weekly specials. A simple way to describe this place as well as the menu is colorful. Locations: 4486 Middle Country Rd, Calverton, NY 11933.