5 Things You Hear When You're A Non-Engineering Major At An Engineering School

"Did you do the Physics?"

85

The funny thing about being a University that is known for a certain major is that it is not uncommon that about 90% of the students you meet will be that major. For my school in particular it is just about any kind of engineering you want to think of. That being said, there are common difficulties you face when the major(s) that you have when people have never even heard of the classes you're taking. Being a double major in Psychology and Social Sciences with a minor in biology, leaves me in the departments that you'll find in the corner of the halls and the classes that often don't have any more than 30 people in them.

1.) "There's a Humanities and Social Sciences Department here?"

This is the big one. People often don't even realize that there are majors that don't revolve themselves around Physics or Calculus.

2.) "Did you do the Physics?"

It's not uncommon for your friends to forget what your schedule looks like. So it's especially amusing when they come to you for help in engineering classes when you haven't taken a Physics class since sophomore year in high school, and you never have to take one in college; or if you do, it has more to do with Biology than a ball in the air.

3.) "What classes do you even take?"

You know that one class that you have to take as a Knowledge Area to ensure that you've gotten a well rounded degree? You know that class that you hate, and you just constantly have to write papers and read books? Well, that's my entire schedule.

4.) "You're major is so easy."

This one is especially frustrating. Just because I do not spend my day memorizing equations does not mean that school is easy.

5.) "What are you even going to do with that degree?"

Not sure, but I know I'm studying something that I truly enjoy, and that's all I care about right now.