5 Fun Things To Do In Port Huron This Summer

Who needs Florida? We have water right here in our backyard.

3275
Rebecca Agnew

With the warm weather approaching and the various college students coming home after months of hard work, it's hard not to think about summer. Sunshine, warm weather, and beaches are on everyone's mind as our favorite season approaches. While some people think about going south for vacation, I'm planning all of the phone things I'm going to be doing in my lovely little hometown, Port Huron. Port Huron is a beautiful coastal port on Lake Huron. With its various beaches and beautiful coastline and river walk, it's really a gem in the thumb area of Michigan. While you plan your next vacation, please consider these 5 awesome activities Port Huron has to offer this summer!

1. Take A Walk Along The St. Clair River

One of my favorite spots to walk is along the St. Clair River near the Blue Water bridge. You have a breathtaking view of the bridge and the coastline. Also, Canada is right across the river. How cool is it that you are 200 feet from another country? It's even prettier at night when the bridge is lit up and the casino lights are shining.

2. Tour the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse

This one is perfect for kids. I remember walking down to Lakeside beach every summer when I was a kid so I could tour the lighthouse. It's old, winding stair case and amazing view of Lake Huron when you reach the top just blew my tiny, adolescent mind. The lighthouse was built in 1814 and is overseen by the coast guard. It is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Michigan. Tours and climbs are available in the summer, please check the website for more info: http://www.phmuseum.org/fort-gratiot-lighthouse/

3. Enjoy the water

Port Huron has a beautiful coastline. It has plenty of beaches and water ways for all to enjoy. Take a boat ride on the Huron Lady, visit Lakeside Beach and soak up some rays, or take a long drive on M-25 along Lake Huron. The best thing about our coastline though, it is salt free and shark free!

4. Thomas Edison Depot Museum

Many people aren't aware that Port Huron was the boyhood home of Thomas Edison. Take a fun trip down memory lane and visit the Depot Museum near the Blue Water Bridge. The admission fee is very modest and it gives everyone the opportunity to learn more about the famous inventor for whom we have much to thank for. While your at it, have a nice dinner at Freighters restaurant next door and stay a couple nights at the Thomas Edison Inn.

5. Visit The Downtown Area

Port Huron's historic downtown district is perfect for a family outing. There are tons of local restaurants and pubs to enjoy. The Raven Café has some of the best tasting coffee in southeastern Michigan. Fuel Woodfire grill is the best place to go for barbecue anything. And if you want Pizza, Casey's is definitely the way to go! You can have all of this and a beautiful view of the St. Clair River

So whether you visit for a week or a weekend, Port Huron is the perfect blend of family fun and adventure. So, come on down and enjoy the water, the food, and the history!