What is fashionable is different for everyone, but quite frankly, I am so tired of hearing people discourage others from wearing what they want. We restrict others from being confident in themselves by establishing fashion "rules" against clothes that do not deviate from the norm. I think the best way to feel less trapped by these do's and don'ts is to completely ignore them. There are no rules if you choose not to follow them. Be a trendsetter, be confident, and most importantly, be aware of what makes you happy. Here are 5 (among countless others) fashion faux-pa's you can do, despite popular opinion.
1. Blue Eyeshadow- There is a common misconception that blue eyeshadow is only for 12 year olds and party girls, but there truly is so much more to this look. Life is too short not to wear fun colors on your eyes. What separates colors such as pink and purple from blue? Why are they more acceptable? Embrace the frigid ice queen look or the mermaid mystique: you may find a statement for a dreamy night out.
2. Mixing Black and Brown- Have we become so picky that we criticize what neutrals go together? Ugh. Black and brown go with everything, so why can't they go together as well? Brown acts as an excellent compliment to plain, all black outfits. Camel and black, and even mahogany and heather gray sound confusing, but I promise are incredibly sophisticated when worn.
3. Heavy Makeup- I hear guys complain about girls with avant-garde makeup practically everyday. I think that is a clear sign of misunderstanding the intricate and powerful art that is makeup. If you want to wear a smoky eye for work or funky lipstick to the grocery store, then do it! Makeup can bring out the best parts of your face and tie a look together. Natural "no makeup makeup" looks are great if that is what you are comfortable with, but heavy makeup is a fun option too. Don't be afraid to spend more time on a glamorous makeup look.
4. Heels for Tall People- Now is the time to stop telling tall people they cannot wear heels. What is wrong with standing tall? Being tall is such a unique trait: why not use it to your advantage with a cute pair of stilettos? Strut into the room and allow others to look up to you- literally.
5. Mixing Patterns- Most people stray away from this clothing choice because they do not want to look like they are trying too hard, but not everything has to be effortless! It can be fun to put effort in clothes and go a little crazy with your statement pieces. Mix plaids with florals and stripes with gingham to add more dimension and contrast to an outfit that would normally be plain and casual.