5 Big Events In 2020 You Might've Forgotten About
News

2020 was full of ups and downs, but there are a few things that we might have let fade into irrelevancy in light of the pandemic.

25

While it may seem like the virus has been the only thing to happen this year because of its hard impact, lots of other occurrences found their way onto the 2020 calendar. Below are 5 important things that happened during the first year of the decade that you may have forgot happened.

The Australian bush fires

static01.nyt.com

Early in the year, Australia caught on fire with devastating results. An innumerable amount of wildlife was lost, and the flames swept across 47 million acres. Thousands of Australians were forced from their homes, and at least 34 people lost their lives.

The impeachment trials of the President

commons.wikimedia.org

News stations in the beginning of 2020 buzzed with the news that the President of The United States was facing an impeachment trial. Although he was acquitted in February, Donald Trump faced charges for supposedly asking Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden and his son.

Murder Hornets in the United States

static.scientificamerican.com

As if the year wasn't already going downhill enough, hornets that measured up to two inches in size were spotted for the first time in the U.S. in Washington state. Scientifically known as the Asian giant hornet, these insects are known for destroying entire bee colonies.

The United Kingdom withdrawing from the European Union

i0.wp.com

The chaos of 2020 obviously did not stick to one country, but instead spread around the whole world. One example of this would be "Brexit", where the United Kingdom left the European Union. While the fight for this action started in 2019, January 31st was the official day of the withdrawal. This ensued political mayhem, as most things do.

The 2020 Summer Olympics being postponed for 2021

sportshub.cbsistatic.com

Arguably the most globally anticipated sports event, The Olympics, was postponed due to the virus. Originally set to be held in Tokyo, Japan, the 2020 Summer Olympics was halted. However, it is set to be rescheduled for the 23rd of July, 2021.