5 Disadvantages Of Looking Like A Child When You're Actually 20

The struggles from a baby face.

265
WordPress/JoeforAmerica

When I tell people my age, they look at me as if I’m playing pretend at being a grownup. If only they knew that I really wish that was the case.. You see, even I don’t believe that I am two decades old! It’s a really big pill to swallow after accepting the fact that I will be going through life looking like I am 12-- not to say the least.

This is my list of the disadvantages for all the baby faces out there.

1. People will go on and on about how young you look.

This in particular gets to me every time because of course, I notice that I look young. I can tell when I look at myself in the mirror! I don’t need anyone to point out the obvious but I guarantee they still will regardless.

2. You will get compliments for looking so adorably cute.

Upon people telling me how cute I am, they usually mention something along the lines of "I just want to pinch your cheeks!" Scary, I know. I had no idea my cheeks were even that big to begin with until suddenly everyone wanted to squeeze them. It has happened to me before and it is a painful experience. Also, it's not just the cheeks anymore. It is the fact that no matter how much makeup I put on to conceal my baby face, it never works out because my age still gets underestimated.

3. You will forever be carded going to bars.

I completely understand why I will be asked to show my ID because of my young-looking self, but I can already feel myself getting annoyed having to keep it in handy every single time. What if for whatever reason I lost my ID? Or even worse, no one would believe that my ID is actually not a fake? Would anyone care to believe me if I tell them my date of birth along with a pinky swear that it’s true? What also worries me is that I have no idea when I will start looking older to avoid the hassle. I don’t want to be like the girl from "The Age of Adaline" who managed to look 29 when she was nearly 80!

4. There is a chance you may get mistaken for an elementary, middle, AND high school student.

This is me speaking from experience. I was once accompanying my little sister at her school’s event and as I was making sure she was participating, a teacher approached me and asked me what grade I was in. She really thought I was lost! I tried to keep my calm and tell her I did not go to school there and she had the nerve to look at me as if I was crazy and reply the words, "That's sad" until she walked away. That was enough to scar me and avoid any school event unless it was one that I attended.

5. People will pull the, “You’ll appreciate looking young when you’re older,” card on you a whole lot more than you want to hear.

Okay, maybe I will think it’s awesome to look so young when I’m 50 and need to be reminded that I am a kid at heart, but I’m not a huge fan at the moment. When I was younger, I had higher expectations to how I should look when I was older. While I wanted to have a sophisticated and mature edge to me, I got the complete opposite!

Though this is a short list of my everyday struggle, it somehow is enough to make me wonder how things would be if I just looked my age-- whatever that means, anyway. For those of you who don’t have to worry about what I stated above, simply be grateful that you saved yourself from the trouble! But then again, who am I to tell you looking older is great if I can still get away with buying a child movie ticket, right?