5 Common Misconceptions About Introverts

Spoiler alert: They don't hate people.

139
Tumblr

You might have been branded as an introvert if people often refer to you as a hermit or maybe you've been accused of spending too much time lost in your own world. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have always been an introvert. Extended periods of time with other people wear me out. I get my energy from being alone just as extroverts get their energy from being around other people. This isn't always viewed as a good thing by many people. Introverts shouldn't be ashamed for how they are. They are just misunderstood. Some common misconceptions about introverts are:

1. Introverts are coldhearted

Introverts may express their emotions differently, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't have any. Introverts tend to internalize their feelings and that can come off as cold or callous. Believe me, they care more than they are willing to show. Not everyone wears their heart on their sleeve

2. Introverts don't like talking

If you have ever been friends with an introvert you would know that once they are comfortable enough it is hard to get them to stop talking. Introverts are careful about their words and tend to think before they speak. If you happen to engage an introvert on a topic they're passionate about more than likely they will do their fair share of talking.

3. Introverts want to be alone

While spending long periods of time in crowded places and large groups does tire an introvert, it doesn't mean they want to be left alone. Sometimes all it takes is just some time by themselves to recharge. While they do need crucial alone time, it doesn't meant they don't crave the attention or affection of others. Introverts aren't a group of angry people who hate other people. They are a group who prefers their friendships to be a sort of quality over quantity deal.

4. Introverts don't make good leaders

This is far from true. Introverts tend to process information and digest it before making decisions. This lends to good rational decision making. Quite the opposite of their extroverted counterparts who lean towards making rash decisions before thinking them through. In general, introverts are more even tempered and less prone to letting their emotion get to best of them.

5. Introverts aren't happy

Some people just enjoy peace and quiet. It doesn't always mean they are brooding or depressed. While extroverts start to feel depressed when they aren't around other people, introverts enjoy getting away for a little while. Alone time is good in moderation

Introverts aren't bad people who hate the world and everyone in it. They may be misunderstood but it's fine to be by yourself sometimes. You might even learn a thing or two about yourself.