5 College Myths That Are Actually True

5 College Myths That Are Actually True

3. You won't stay friends with the people you meet in the first two weeks.
152

All through high school we wonder what college is going to be like. What sorority or fraternity are we going to join? What events will we go to? What classes will we take?

I heard many things about college, and over half of them weren't what I thought they'd be. College myths are exactly that - myths, except when they aren't.

Some of those myths end up being true. Like these.

1. You will miss home.

This was a big one for me. I always heard "you'll miss home," but I never listened because like any other high schooler, I wanted as far away from home as I could get. Missing home wasn't something I ever thought I'd do, especially only being two hours away from my family, but I do find myself wishing I hadn't moved out. It's a change we have to get used to, and it's okay to miss home, everyone does sometimes.

2. You won't party.

Everyone always associates college with parties, which is partly true. However, not everyone parties. It's a misconception that college is all play and no work, but the truth is, partying is only something that happens on the weekends and only certain people get into them. Plus the party scene isn't for everyone so don't feel like you have to go to them. If you party, it's okay. Live a little, but be safe.

Hear me out on this one, it's one of the most important. The people you hang out with the first few weeks are probably not here to stay. I speak from experience. If you live in a resident hall with people who have the same major as you, you find those people in the first week that you hope to be life long friends with. But that doesn't always happen. When you're around people for 18/24 hours a day, tensions get high and people get irritated with each other really fast. This isn't the case for everyone. Some people still manage to keep their two week friends longer than that but if you don't it's okay, you'll find those lifetime friends. It just usually doesn't happen in the first few weeks.

4. You will skip class.

This is another one people like to deem untrue. You hear people say "I've never skipped a class," and they're either really good at waking up and making sure to get there or they're lying to you. It's probably the latter. And I'm sure you've said something along the lines of "I won't skip class, I paid too much to be here," but it's definitely something that happens. Whether your alarm didn't go off, or you intentionally decided to skip your STATS class, it's going to happen. Just be know you only get so many skips before your grades go down. You might as well save your absences for days when you're sick beyond repair and need them.

5. You will live on Ramen Noodles and Mac & Cheese.

There are tons of options for food on campus. One reason why colleges make you get a meal plan if you live on campus is for this reason. They don't want you to have to resort to eating unhealthy just because you're a broke college student. Also, there are unlimited coupons and discounts that restaurants and stores offer to students because they know how broke you are.

So all of those things people told you about college, may or may not be true. Though, that doesn't mean you can't have the best time while you're there. Just be safe, get lots of rest, and GO TO CLASS!