5 Cartoons You Should Be Watching Right Now

Because who doesn't love cartoons?

70
Weight Loss TIps and Tricks

I'll go ahead and admit it: I absolutely love cartoons. I grew up watching Scooby-Doo, Where are You!, The Powerpuff Girls, Tom and Jerry, The Fairly OddParents, SpongeBob and too many others to name. Even as I got older, I kept watching cartoons, but I wasn't exactly a huge fan of the cartoons that were aimed at more mature audience. The humor of Southpark and Family Guy isn't really that funny or groundbreaking to me. Luckily, we seem to be in a cartoon renaissance, so here are five cartons you should start watching:

1. Bojack Horseman

This cartoon was made for those of us who want to see someone hate themselves more than we hate ourselves, and nobody hates himself more than Boack Horseman; he practically makes it into an Olympic sport. Bojack is a washed up reality TV star struggling with depression and alcoholism, and actually does a pretty good job of depicting both despite the fact that half of the characters are anthropomorphic animals. The plot is set up to be cliché, but for the most part avoids it. A times it feels a little too existential, but the wacky characters (oddly) keep it grounded.

2. Rick and Morty

If you haven't heard about this show, then congratulations on emerging from whatever social media-free life you used to live. In the first season, Rick and Morty seems a lot like Family Guy. Bathroom humor, and not much of a plot. However, once you get to season two, you become invested in the characters, and the story actually becomes compelling. Rick is a mad scientist-type who takes his grandson, Morty, on adventures in space and alternate dimensions, which often end in disaster. They also take on rather weighty issues, like marital issues and alcoholism.

3. Bob's Burgers

Certainly more lighthearted than the first two, Bob's Burgers is about Bob, a man who owns and runs a burger restaurant with his wife and three children. This is a feel-good cartoon that will definitely make you laugh aloud. All the characters are weird, hilarious and awkward in a way that is relatable, and makes you want to cheer them on.

4. Steven Universe

Not everyone enjoys adult humor, which is totally understandable. Thankfully there are lots of cartoons that are both family friendly and still really entertaining Steven Universe follows the Crystal Gems, a team of aliens who protect the Earth. Steven, who is half Crystal Gem and half human, tags along on all of their adventures. The show deals with gender and LGBTQ+ issues in a kid-friendly way, and the characters, as well as their relationships with one another, are very complex and touching. It is funny, cute and PG. What more could you as for?