5 Captivating Young Adult Books For Teens And Up

Great reads, and stocking stuffers, for teens and adult alike!

22
Melville House Books

Hear ye, Hear ye! Young Adult books are not just for teens, in fact, many new authors have taken the approach of covering important issues through young adult literature. These stories hold great meaning, lessons, and characters you won't soon forget. Check out these great reads for yourself or maybe even seek out a gift for the holiday season!

1. The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily N. Danforth

This heart-wrenching novel follows the life of Cameron Post, a spunky, athletic girl from Montana who, at the age of 12, figures out that she's gay. The story follows Cameron through her life, the untimely death of her parents, hiding her true self from friends and family, falling for the girl with the perfect boyfriend, and her aunt Ruth's decision that Cam's "sinful issues" need "fixing." The author does a wonderful job of making each character human, no one is the bad guy no matter what side you're on. Danforth's novel will teach you a thing or two about humanity, family, and love.

2. Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Brown's touching novel deals with a tragedy we as a nation have become too familiar with. Valerie Leftman thought the list that she and her boyfriend made of things and people they hate was all fun and games until he opened fire on their high school the next day. Shot trying to stop the massacre, Valerie now has to deal with the repercussions of the shooting, having helped make the list in the first place. This story wonderfully displays different points of view throughout this grieving period, making sure that every voice is heard. Brown accurately portrays rising out of the depths after a horrific event.

3. Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston

Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale meets modern day in Johnston's novel dealing with the hard-hitting topic of sexual assault and rape culture. Hermione Winter is the head cheerleader with everything going for her until someone at a party slips something in her drink. Hermione can't shake the effects of this assault, especially since the evidence is protruding out of her stomach. But she won't be a charity case–she's a fighter. This is a wonderful tale of strength, determination, and survival during hard times. It's sure to take a few tears but also fill you with hope.

4. Winger by Andrew Smith

It isn't often we see the main character as a boy dealing with everyday life, romance, and intimate friendship. Andrew Smith does a wonderful job of portraying Ryan Dean West's life at a rich kid's boarding school where he encounters troublemakers, bullies, and a devastating crush. While this book may not outwardly deal with many social issues off the bat, the fact that it stars an emotionally present male is something that should be seen more in literature. Want more Winger? Well, you're in luck. It's a series!

5. George by Alex Gino

A fantastic story for anyone who has ever felt just a little different. When people look at young George, they see a boy, but she knows that she's really a girl. Scared that she'll have to keep her true self a secret forever, George finds the perfect way to tell her story through getting the role of Charlotte in the school's play, Charlotte's Web. With the help of her best friend, Kelly, George feels ready to show her true identity to the world. This story is perfect for tweens and adults who have ever struggled with their real identity. It is an inspiring and heart-warming piece sure to make you smile.