5 Books To Read This Fall

5 Books To Read This Fall

Reading>Netflix

8
5 Books To Read This Fall

Over this past summer, I made a goal for myself to read-- read as many books as I could. Although I still binged Netflix shows daily, I sat aside time to read. Hope you'll enjoy the books I've read this summer.

1. Buddha in the Attic

By Julie Otsuka

This novel, originally published in 2011, was my required reading before Seminar by the Sea (a gender studies program through my school in Maine). The book follows the immigration of Japanese "picture brides" to the United States. In doing so, the author uses "we" as a subject to unify the collective narrative of the Japanese people. Also with this novel, we as students had a window into the double-edged sword of oppression.

2. Nineteen Minutes

By Jodi Picoult

This teen drama propels the reader into the various eyes of a school shooting. From the shooter, a victim, parents, lawyers, and first responders, I am struck with the overlaying stories and accounts of a daunting day. The novel made me sympathize with the shooter which I was shocked by.

3. The Reader

By Bernhard Schlink

Set in WWII era, this novel tell the tale of two lovers. One, a 15 year old high school boy. Another, a woman in her thirties who is keeping the secret of her being an ex- Nazi. Told in different parts, the reader sees the agony the woman put the boy through by (1) taking advantage of him and (2) keeping a filthy secret from him.

4. The Help

By Kathryn Stockett

As a journalist, this novel is perhaps my favorite. Set amid the Civil Rights Movement, journalist, Skeetah, makes it her mission the publish a novel through the lens of the African American maids. When reading, prepare for some good laughs with the wholesome truth of love and justice.

5. The Glass Castle

By Jeannette Walls

This is my most recent read and it did not disappoint. Told as a memoir, the narrator and author, Jeannette reveals the ugly truth of her family going in and out of homelessness. I don't want to give too much away, but there are many heart- wrenching stories from a young woman and her as a child.

My advice to everyone is to read. Language had the ability to transcend our thinking without a direct image. We as the reader can picture our world with the words of talented writers.

Happy reading!!