The 5 Best Books that You Could Read For School

Jump for joy if you see any of these on your required reading list!

9
Whitney Atkinson

Required reading for school is often the bane of some students' existence. Many of the books that teachers teach seem bland and meaningless, but there may be one or two that caught your eye as something special. In my experience as an English major, here are 5 of the best books (so far) that I have read for any of my high school or college classes.

1. Hamlet by William Shakespeare

When in my freshman AP English class the teacher announced that we would be reading Romeo and Juliet, there was a collective groan from the class. Shakespeare is notorious for his tragic and comedic plays, especially given their nearly incomprehensible language for most millennials. We suffered through the text and eventually came to understand its themes and motifs, but not in such a pleasant way that I was excited to hear that we'd be reading Hamlet my senior year. Given my dread, I was astounded when this play blew me away. Although it requires a thorough set of footnotes to fully understand Shakespeare's language, Hamlet presents very dark and thought-provoking themes through its startlingly relatable main character. Nearly a year past, I still turn over the events of Hamlet in my mind and take pride every time I recognize a famous quote from this tragedy. If in your studies you find yourself possibly picking up Hamlet, I would highly recommend becoming acquainted with this sassy, Danish prince.

2. Anthem by Ayn Rand

Anthem was a book I read in my freshman year of high school that I still think about today. The idea is one that I have never come across again throughout the 300 books I've read since freshman year. Anthem follows the character Equality 7-2521, a pawn in a society where people are regarded as objects and the collective mindset of the people allows for no individuality, thus the novella, though told entire in singular first person, utilizes the pronoun "we." The symbolic writing makes you question society and authority, as well as makes you feel the same triumph that Equality 7-2521 feels as he rebels against this society and searches for love. Anthem changed the way that I see the world and totalitarian societies, and it is a literary work of genius that is incredibly short and easy to read.

3. A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen

A Doll's House, alongside Hamlet, is one of the most symbolic plays that I have ever read. Its themes rest concretely in feminism, so I identified very personally with the main character, Nora. Nora lives in a time when men are heads of the household, and this play follows her relationship with her husband and the slow unraveling of the patriarchy and how she comes to attain autonomy. This play is full of emotions and offers a real insight into the housewife lifestyle, and it shows the reader all through dialogue the role that a woman was supposed to take in that day and age. It is a very relevant read and the climax is irresistibly satisfying, leaving you feel empowered and grateful for how feminism has positively shaped families and lives around the world.

4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

If I had to settle on one book that is hands down my favorite that I have read in school, it would be The Great Gatsby. However, I read Gatsby the summer before my junior year, so when we came to reading it the spring afterward, I was fully prepared for the emotions that I knew would eventually return. This novel, set in the 1920s, is narrated by Nick, neighbor of the greatly rich and equally famous Gatsby, who spends the entirety of the novel pursuing Daisy, his past love. Fitzgerald is a master craftsman of his words, and the imagery and symbolism in this book will absolutely blow you away. This novel is equal parts romantic and astounding, tragic and hopeful. When anyone refers to the notorious last sentence of this book, no matter what, I instantly get goosebumps. Fitzgerald created a meaningful story with a moral and characters that have stuck with me for years, in a novel that I shall continue to reread for the rest of my life.

5. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

This is a recent read for me in my first semester college English class, and it's also the most recently published work that I will mention. The Glass Castle is a memoir that follow's Jeanette's strange and questionably abusive parents, as they live a moneyless and lawless life across the United States in her childhood. The Glass Castle identifies with every person’s innate desire to be able to do what they want without penalty. This memoir defines the struggle of upkeeping a toxic yet necessary relationship between family members, and each captivating anecdote grows more enriched with Jeannette’s self-awareness while keeping a completely objective tone. The rich world of childhood splendor contracts deliciously with very real adult struggles, offering a perspective of suffering, enduring, and overcoming that is a once-in-a-lifetime read. It is by far the grittiest and most captivating book that I have ever read for school, one that I was tempted every single time I picked it up to finish in one sitting.