5 Books To Fall Into This Autumn

5 Books To Fall Into This Autumn

5 intriguing novels to curl up to.
10

As we get deeper and deeper into fall, I find that all I want to do is head to the library, check out a ton of books, and snuggle under a blanket to read them. Unfortunately, before I can do this, I have to wait until I have a break from school. In the meantime, I’ll be reminiscing about some of my favorite books in order to get me through the semester. If you want some different books that will leave you thinking, and that echo the darkening skies of fall, here are some suggestions.

1. Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Whenever someone asks me to name my favorite books, this is always at the top of the list. Fun fact: I actually didn’t like this book the first time I read it. It’s one of those books that deserves a close reading and a second reading in order to fully appreciate. It explores humanity, survival, and religion. It centers around a teenager named Pi and a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker who are stranded in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The imagery in this book is gorgeous and powerful.

2. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë

Though Anne is the least read of the Brontë sisters, she’s my favorite. The book centers on a woman who runs away with her son from her abusive and alcoholic husband. The reader digs into Helen’s letters as she discusses her traumatic experiences. It’s a wild ride that was considered controversial for its time for its feminist views.

3. Trumpet by Jackie Kay

Trumpet focuses on the ripple effect that a famous trumpeter’s death causes amongst his family and friends when they discover that he was transgender. It’s a deeply emotional book that explores love and identity.

4. Airborn by Kenneth Oppell

This is the first book in the Matt Cruse series. It’s a lighter read than the other books on this list, so if you want to do some causal reading, this is for you. I recently re-read this series and was reminded of why it has stuck with me for so long. It’s a classic love story between a poor teenager named Matt Cruse and a rich girl named Kate de Vries. It takes place on an airship and has high adventure, mysterious creatures, and even pirates.

5. Plain Kate by Erin Bow

Bow’s debut novel is a lyrical and beautiful. Though the protagonist, Plain Kate, is pretty young, the book deals with some heavy topics, mainly death. It’s honestly a strange book, but the language is so lovely and haunting that it’s worth a read. Plus, it has a talking cat, so what else do you need? If you end up liking this one, check out Bow’s newer novel titled Sorrow’s Knot.

So go curl up under a blanket with a good cup of tea, light a candle, and enjoy. Happy reading!