Biopics Done Right

Biopics Done Right

Major side eye at Nina Simone Biopic but emoji wink at All Eyez on Me

16
Biopics Done Right
www.rottentomatoes.com

In celebration of the 45th anniversary of the GOAT (Greatest of All Time) Tupac Shakur (June 16th), the film industry announced the biopic that has been speculating for a very long time. After a couple of years creating the blueprint, the trailer called "All Eyez on Me" has been released, and it looks pretty decent thus far.

Continuing the high of the great response of the trailer, I have written my 5 list of biopics that were done right. (Hint, Hint at the Nina Simone Biopic that Zoe Saldana decided to ruin).

5. CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story (2013)

Everyone wasn't feeling this idea of the biopic from the beginning, especially when they found out who were the cast of the lovely ladies, (ESPECIALLY when we found out Lil' Mama playing Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopez). But with T-Boz and Chilli being executive producers and telling it from their pont of view, it was very realistic. It was refreshing to see their entire point of view and realize why they were broke when they were in their prime.

(This is from the movie)

(This is from the actual Grammys)

LOOKS JUST LIKE THEM RIGHT?!

4. Notorious (2009)

This was a great, great biopic! Biggie's mother, Voletta Wallace, and P. Diddy were a part of the entire film, which is probably why the movie is so good. The actor Jamal Woolard spend a good time before filming hanging out with Biggie's family and learning about his life and his struggle. All that work showed in the movie and it was a immediate success. To make the movie as realistic as it can be, they even had Faith Evans son, Christopher Wallace Jr, play as the "child biggie", who looks just like his father.

3. Straight Outta Compton (2015)

This movie received a lot of anticipation and was the talk of all year. Ice Cube and his twin looking son, O'Shea Jackson Jr., was the outstanding role. Backed by Dr. Dre and giving the blessing of all the living members of N.W.A., this is a favorite biopic in the past 5 years. The cast resembles the original members (almost too well) and they gave my generation (90s babies! 94' to infinity) a good taste of what it was like and to appreciate what we have now (even if it's not a huge difference, major side eye).

2. What's Love Got to Do with It (1993)

One of my favorite movies of all time was based on the autobiography I, Tina. Starring the gorgeous Angela Bassett as Tina and Laurence Fishburne as Ike, this movie showed the intense roller coaster ride of the love and music of Ike & Tina. The fact that Bassett doesn't look anywhere close to Tina and still made the movie more than believable was amazing. When I was younger I thought that was actually the real Ike & Tina! I know Bassett worked her behind off to make this movie as amazing as it is, and to get the actual Tina stamp of approval made it even better.

1. Selena (1997)

(Jennifer Lopez in the film)

(The Queen Selena Quintanilla)

YA'LL DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I'm a little familiar with the culture due to having a best friend who is Mexican (Hey Gisela!) and seeing the Mexican culture in Texas. This movie gave me such insight as a young girl on the struggle of being Mexican-American and having to deal with proving each side that you are enough. She was my introduction of Tejano music and her culture of being a Texan Mexican-American. Jennifer Lopez (J.Lo) did her thing with this movie; she took a lot of time to study her (Selena's) work, her movements, and being around her family. J.Lo being Puerto Rican almost perfectly pulled off being Mexican-American. This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Side note: Selena fashion game was ALWAYS on point! She is body goals!

*EVERYBODY LOVES SELENAS*

That was my top 5 of biopics that were done right. So hopefully with the hype of the new 2pac movie, they take some notes and they execute it perfectly. Because if they don't...there will be some problems.