5 Bible Verses That Will Bring You Comfort

When I take time to reflect on some of the bad things that have happened in my life, and how low I felt during those times, there is always one constant thing that comes to mind for how I dealt with it. Whether we're talking about traumatic experiences that I may not ever talk about, my grandmother (who is also my role model) passing away, or a breakup that left me feeling worthless and lost, what I did during each of those times turned to God.

Everyone has their own set of beliefs and their own forms of comfort, and for me, that is my relationship with God. I am a Jesus loving Christian, and my faith is genuinely what I believe guides me through my life.

There are a number of ways I connect with God, whether that's going to Church, journaling, praying, listening to worship music, or studying His word. Focusing specifically on God's word, when I go through hard times, I try to find a couple of Bible verses that inspire me, bring me comfort, and give me hope.

Here are five Bible verses that, to me at least, help me in different situations and bring me closer to God when I'm feeling or going through...

Grief: Matthew 5:4

Brittany Creech

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted"

Like I mentioned before, losing my grandma was one of the most painful things I've been through. It's still difficult and still hurts, but around the time it happened, I went through a very rough period of grieving. I actually wrote Matthew 5:4 on my hand every day with a sharpie every single day for a week.

I prayed, prayed, and prayed. I was hoping God would bring me comfort, and He definitely did. I know that no matter what, I can always turn to him for comfort, and that is one of the most reassuring feelings, ever.

Anger: James 1:19-20

Brittany Creech

"My dear brothers and sisters, understand this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for human anger does not accomplish God's righteousness"

Man oh man, I've felt angry throughout my life more times than I'd like to admit. Sometimes over smaller things, other times over "bigger", more substantial issues.

I'm sure everyone can think of a time they've been angry, probably even recently. What's important to remember about anger, though, is that even though it's not always a bad thing to feel this way, it is possible for uncontrolled anger to be especially harmful. James 1:19-20 is so important to refer to and remember in the times we're overcome with this emotion.

Discouraged: Joshua 1:9

Brittany Creech

Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go"

There have been so many instances in which I've felt hopeless and discouraged. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head are when my best friend was battling substance abuse. He was going through such a hard time, he was spiraling (fast, I might add), and he was addicted to some hard drugs.

I would try everything possible to try to get him to get help, and even reach out to those resources myself, on his behalf. I cannot tell you how hopeless and discouraging of a feeling it is to see someone you love go down that path and not want help. But that's just it, you cannot make someone get help if they don't want it.

I turned to God and realized that all I could do was be there for him and remind him his life was valued and that help was out there, should he want it. Joshua 1:9 was, and is a good reminder that God is with us and to stay strong.

Lonely: Hebrews 13: 5-6

Brittany Creech

"Keep your life free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for He himself has said I will never leave you or abandon you. Therefore, we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

I once went through a breakup that caused me to feel so lonely. I was very much invested in the relationship and was absolutely blindsided by the split. I felt like I had lost my boyfriend and my best friend with no time to brace myself for it (if that would have even made it easier), and it was a rough time.

There are so many Bible verses that reference loneliness and remind us that we're never alone because God will never leave us, and Hebrews 13: 5-6 is a favorite of mine.

Sadness: Luke 6:21

Brittany Creech

"Blessed are you who are now hungry, because you will be filled. Blessed are you who weep now, because you will laugh"

I have been sad on a number of occasions recently, and it's not fun as I'm sure you already know. Luke 6:21 is a wonderful reminder that things will be okay and sad times won't last forever. I think everyone needs to hear that every once in a while, for sure.

God's word has brought me immense amounts of comfort and guidance, and for that, I am so grateful. Hopefully, these verses are able to bring the same to you.