5 Bands To Check Out In The Scranton Area

31
Scranton Chamber of Commerce

With the Electric City Music Conference fast approaching and the anticipation of the 100+ bands playing the Scranton area within a two-day span, the time has come to spotlight some bands that call the greater Northeastern Pennsylvania area their home. These bands have dedicated time, effort and passion into their craft and have finely tuned their instruments (see what I did there?) into melodically masterful tools in which to make anyone want to bang their head or move their feet.

1. Static in the Attic

In all honesty, Static in the Attic is one of my favorite bands, local or otherwise. To try and peg down a musical style to the four-piece group is like trying to grasp air. The versatility and genre jumping that these guys do is simply amazing and must be experienced from the very front row of any place they play. Elements of blues mix smoothly with hard rock while dancing with the hints of contemporary music; all this happens with the spark that only Static in the Attic can deliver. It isn't uncommon to see people dancing like maniacs (or as the band calls them, Funky Bearcats) at their shows, and for good reason. Static makes their audience truly a part of their show, an inclusiveness that makes everyone feel welcome. With two albums under their belt, this band from Carbondale is arguably one of the most original groups to come from the area, and it won’t be long before they break out.

Check them out at: Static in the Attic Facebook Page, Reverb Nation Page

Key Song: "Whatchu Need" from On the Street

2. Eye on Attraction

Eye on Attraction is that rare band that can make progressive rock gel really well with alternative perspectives. What does that mean? To put it simply, Eye on Attraction has a style unique to them that really shows off just how amazing each member is on their instrument. Complex yet rocking beats, versatile yet thundering basslines, intricate yet melodic guitar playing and soaring yet soothing vocals make for a band that has scored diehard fans. This is a band that rewards persistence and loyalty, as they keep topping themselves with musicianship as they continue to play. This is a band to watch, as even their covers have gotten an approving nod from the band that originated the song (their cover of Coheed and Cambria's "Number City" got a retweet from the band themselves). Whenever you need a band to fall in love with, look no further than Eye on Attraction.

Check them out at: Eye on Attraction Facebook Page, Bandcamp Page

Key Song: "Glass Castles" from Staircases EP

3. Reject Royalty

Reject Royalty is the youngest band on this list, which is a testament to how impressive they are. With an EP out, these four gentlemen have recently come onto the Scranton music scene with a great energy and really catchy songs that demand to be noticed. This Dickson City quartet's music blankets the rock genre in a way only truly passionate people can do. Their songs are focused and well honed, each one delivering the goods in a way that Reject Royalty can call their own. They care about their music, and honestly everyone else should too. The fact that a band in this short of a time span (they only started playing live in 2014) can gain this much steam is only a precursor to what this band can ultimately accomplish. Once you hear them, you'll be nodding your head in awe of what these guys can do.

Check them out at: Reject Royalty Facebook Page, Bandcamp Page

Key Song: "Recollection" from Great Things EP

4. Young at Heart

Formerly known as Terror on the Screen, Young at Heart have been a pop punk band that have slam danced and thrashed their way into our hearts. These are seasoned pros at their genre, knowing just how to make those catchy riffs and amazing lyrics that will make anyone look up and take notice. An argument in recent years has been made that pop punk as a genre is dead, but Young at Heart clearly show that this is not the case. Everything these guys put out is honest and true, making their music all the better from it. They have a real love of playing their music in the style they play it in, and any pop punk fan can tell you that they are the genuine article. They will help usher in the new era of pop punk, and you can be along for the ride.

Check them out at: Young at Heart Facebook Page, Bandcamp Page

Key Song: "A Little Too Late" from Young at Heart EP

5. Graces Downfall

Graces Downfall have been a staple of the Scranton music scene for many years, and for good reason. Their hard rock music has captivated metal fans and music lovers alike, churning out tunes that keep fans coming back for more. Having opened for artists such as Trapt and Rev Theory, Graces Downfall frankly deserve all the praise and awards they have been given throughout their career. They are relentless in their barrage of amazing riffs and awesome vocals, giving hard rock and metal the grunge injection that pushes their material from great to fantastic. If heavy yet rocking music is your thing, and even if its not, Graces Downfall is definitely a band to watch out for and a band that NEPA is truly grateful to have.

Check them out at:Graces Downfall Facebook Page, Bandcamp Page

Key Song: "Lie" from Resplendent Indignity

So that's my list of bands to check out in the Scranton area. You can see all of these bands (and a hundred more) at the Electric City Music Conference September 18th and 19th in and around Scranton. Help support local music by checking these and other bands out at this great event!