45 Pieces Of Advice My High School Counselor Gave Me That I Kept For College And Beyond

My high school counselor is such a kind person who has blessed me and many others with her profound wisdom.

156
Cara Hoekstra

Before I left for college, my high school counselor gave my close friends and me some advice in the form of a letter. I took that letter with me to college and still look at it every once in a while. Her wisdom stuck with me as I transitioned into college and found a new place to belong.

Below are 45 pieces of advice she gave us as we went off to college. Miss Schuller's advice has helped me in many situations.

1. Find a little joy in each day.

2. Don’t forget to thank those around you.

3. Do good

Yes, I actually meant "do," not "be..." although being both is preferable.

4. Realize that setbacks are a part of God’s plan.

5. Look for the good in others.

Especially those that irritate you.

6. Hug a dog.

7. You can’t screw up God’s plan.

8. Be who God intends, not who you think others expect you to be.

9. It is OK to be different.

It is not OK to be obnoxious.

10. If you spread yourself too thin, you will have nothing left for God or yourself.

11. Be considerate of others' feelings.

12. Think before you speak.

13. God always knows, but don’t forget to include Him in everything.

14. Realize that you are important, even when you feel small.

15. Be aware of the impact you have on others.

They are watching.

16. Don’t over-commit.

There is time to do everything, just not all at one time.

17. Understand that God’s plan is full, complete, and awesome.

Sometimes, it just takes time to understand what it is.

18. Hard is hard, otherwise, we would call it easy!

19. Just because people or situations are stupid, it doesn’t mean you have to be stupid, too.

20. Hard work is always good.

21. Remember, we find out whatever it is in His time.

22. It is OK to laugh, even when you are stressed.

23. Know that God loves you.

Not because of your job, your future spouse, your pets, your faults, your successes, or anything else. He loves you because you are His.

24. Be cognizant of the footprints you leave in lives and places.

25. Take a little time each day just for you- no matter how busy you are.

26. Realize as you age that real contentment is when life is less about you and more about God and others around you.

27. Use your gifts, all the time.

28. Be secure in who you are, It is always enough.

29. Build relationships with people who build you up, call you on your crap, challenge you, support you through good and bad, pray for you, and love you just the way you are.

Be the same for them.

30. Trust and acknowledge God in every part of your life.

31. Pray continually.

32. Love with your whole heart, and mean it.

33. When God feels far away, realize that it is probably you walking away.

God is always there.

34. It is OK to ask for help.

No matter what others think, this is not a sign of weakness.

35. Commit to relationships, and honor obligations.

36. Continue to seek God’s guidance as you go out into His world.

37. Know that you are responsible for your actions.

38. Saying you are sorry is only as good as your future actions.

39. It is OK to say “no” when you are overwhelmed.

40. Be on time.

41. Poke the bear once in a while.

It is actually quite gratifying.

42. Encouragement can be as small as a smile.

43. Organization is a good thing, always.

44. Assuming just…

45. The love of God is infinite, surpassing anything we can imagine.

The joy that you receive from life, from others, and from God should be shared ten-fold. Be His light, always and everywhere.