You Might Be 400 Miles Away, But You Will Always Be My Best Friend

To my best friend Emmy.
292

Dear Emmy,

You are roughly 400 miles and a seven hour drive away from me. Though I would love to come and visit you, I am going to have to write you this letter instead.

First, I just want to say thank you for being my best friend.

Though our friendship back in our elementary school days didn't quite work out, I think it was meant to be that we had the opportunity to meet again and start fresh in High School. I don't think anyone would have guessed we would become friends again, but here we are!

In tenth grade, when we realized we were in the same spanish class, I don’t think either of us expected be more than a friendly “hello” in the hallways, and someone to talk to in class. But to both our surprise, that class thankfully brought us together and we became eachothers best friend.

During the summer going to eleventh grade, I am not sure what I would've done without you.

You were constantly there for me and I am extremely grateful for the countless laughs we shared, the adventures we took, the songs we sang along to, and for all of the late night walks you accompanied me on. I was able to learn so much about you that summer, and I realized just how similar we are in many aspects.

You became one of the most trustworthy and reliable friends I have ever had, and I still feel that way almost three years later!

You are one of the easiest people to confide in because you always respect my privacy. I know you are always there to listen, and you never fail to cheer me up when I need it.

Even though you are all the way in New Hampshire, I have never worried about us falling out of touch. Even in the past few weeks where we haven’t talked as frequently as we usually do, I know that regardless of how busy we both are, we will always be there for each other in spirit.

Even after college, no matter how far away you choose to go, I can confidently say that we will always have each other.

400 miles, 1,000 miles, 2,000 miles—It doesn't matter how far apart we are. No amount of distance could ever interfere with our friendship.

Thank you for being the funniest, and the most kind-hearted girl I know. You are an amazing friend to me and I could never thank you enough.

I am so proud of you and everything you have overcome since I have known you, and I can’t wait for a summer filled with plenty of laughs, adventures and even more late night walks. Summer 2018 is going to be one to remember!

But until then, I hope this letter serves as a reminder as to how much I value our friendship, Em.

Love your best friend,

Kimmy