40 Lessons I've Learned As A Teenage Girl

Being a teenager can be rough, but you sure do learn a lot.

177
Shelby Durbin

As my teenage years come to a close, I start to reflect on how much I have learned these past few years. I experienced heartache, disappointment, anger, frustration and a whole lot of confusion during my time as a teenager.

Although, I also experienced a whole lot of happiness and love right alongside all that. I have put together a list of 40 things I have learned as a teenage girl. This list could go on forever, but frankly, I have a submission deadline and you all don't have time to read all that. Some of these things are lighthearted, and others are more serious, but they are all lessons that I have gathered as a teenage girl. If you can relate to any of these things, please share this with any teenagers you know. A lot of these things apply to teenage boys as well. Enjoy.

1. You will not always be friends with people you used to call your best friends, but that's okay.

Out with the old and in with the new.

2. It is possible to be friends with an ex.

You just have to care enough to want to be in each other's lives.

3. Never abandon your friends just because you get in a relationship.

It is important to have a variety of people and perspectives in life. Friends can help you get through some really hard times.

4. Always carry an extra pad or tampon, even if you don't need it.

You may have a surprise at the wrong time of the month or you may even save a friend some embarrassment.

5. Remember to unclog your shower drain.

Otherwise, you may accidentally flood your entire bathroom.

6. Never throw paper towels in a toilet, because you may cause a flood.

(Yes, I have flooded quite a few bathrooms.)

7. Laugh at yourself.

Make jokes. We humans tend to take everything so seriously. Not everything has to be serious.

8. Dress in whatever makes you feel confident.

Whether you enjoy being modest or you like showing skin, it doesn't matter. As long as you are feeling empowered, the criticism of other's should not be relevant.

9. If you keep having to question whether someone respects you or not, they probably don't.

There is a reason you are feeling that way.

10. If you tell someone to stop doing something multiple times, and they don't, leave.

They do not care enough to consider whether you are comfortable or not.

11. If you take medicine, be consistent with it.

You are causing more damage to yourself by not being compliant.

12. If you decide to drink, know your limit.

Also, only drink with people who you can trust. Make sure you have a plan to get home safely. (P.S. Do not freak out, there is no alcohol in my drink. I am not drunk. I don't know what my face is doing.)

13. Wash your hair as much as possible.

You feel one 1000 times better with clean hair.

14. It is okay to be single.

Embrace it. Give yourself a big hug and take pride in your independence. You have the freedom to roam with no one pulling you back!

15. Likewise, when you get in a relationship, do not form your identity around another person.

If you lose that person, you have to have a strong sense of self to fall back on. Never lose yourself in a relationship. Remember who you were before that person came into your life.

16. When you make a mistake, do not be too hard on yourself.

Mistakes are a part of becoming who you are meant to be. You become a better person through your mistakes.

17. Study.

Just do it. It will save you a lot of tears.

18. Losing a boy is not the end of the world, I promise.

It may feel like it for a while, but you will heal in time.

19. Breakups suck no matter what.

Whether you got broken up with or vice versa, it is still painful. Be sensitive to the other person and do not say hurtful things even if you are angry or confused.

20. When you are trying something on in a store, do not force the zipper to go up.

Otherwise, you might just break it.

21. Save any bizarre messages you get over text or social media.

You never know when you will need the evidence.

22. You are beautiful no matter what.

With or without makeup, with or without hair, with or without anything, you are still amazing and beautiful, inside and out. Your worth transcends what meets the eye.

23. It is okay to put time into yourself.

Spend 30 minutes on your makeup. Take a relaxing bath. Pamper yourself. You deserve it. Life is meant to be enjoyed. (I was very proud of this wing, so I had to take a picture.)

24. Check the weather before you decide what to wear in the morning.

In a city like Louisville, Kentucky, you never know what the weather is going to be like. I have walked outside in shorts in cold weather. On the other hand, I have walked out in a sweater and burned alive. It really depends more on the day than the season.

25. Always be aware of candles that are burning nearby.

Otherwise, you might accidentally set a pizza box on fire. (Don't ask.)

26. Do not talk badly about other people.

That makes you look like the bad guy. Plus, it's really not funny or cool.

27. Do not look for the worst in people.

Be cautious and vigilant, but do not assume everyone is out to hurt you.

28. That being said, not everyone has your best interests at heart.

It is not because of you; it has everything to do with them.

29. Stay hydrated.

You will be happier and healthier.

30. Take calculated risks.

Take chances. Try new things. You may surprise yourself. (Self promo: I did a whole article on this last week. Check it out.)

31. If something tastes sour, do not continue eating it. Otherwise, you might get food poisoning and have to throw away your pants. (Stupid chicken and dumplings)

32. Keep your family close.

They are the ones who are always there for you at the end of the day.

33. If you have to wear heels, always bring a pair of flats to change into.

34. Take the initiative to strive for your own happiness.

Make happiness a priority. You are in charge. Always remember that.

35. Take your mental health seriously.

Fight the stigma surrounding getting help for a mental illness, if you have one. There is absolutely no shame in taking medicine or talking to someone. It may not be a cure- all, but there is help available. (This goes back to taking initiative for your own happiness.)

36. Have a good balance in your life between school, work and people.

There is a place for all of them. Do not focus too much one and lose sight of the others.

37. Choose a career path that you are passionate about.

Take pride in your work as well. People will tell you that it is all about making money, but that is not true. I would rather choose a career that fulfills me than a career that drains me. If you make a living while doing something you love, you have it made.

38. Have fun. It is just that simple.

39. If you are a person of faith, keep God close to you.

I cannot stress this enough. God will help you through anything. The love God provides us is insurmountable. Having a strong faith will deliver you fulfillment and happiness.

40. And finally, work to love yourself.

Tell yourself everyday how much you love yourself. Compliment yourself. Treat yourself nicely. You never know. One day, you might wake up, look in the mirror and love the person staring back at you. Which, you should.