4 Tips for Going Vegan

4 Tips for Going Vegan

It's easier than you think!

26
4 Tips for Going Vegan

So you want to go vegan? You’re not alone. More and more people have been trying out plant-based diets lately, so I thought I’d give some tips to those who are interested! (I highly recommend it!)

1. Start slowly

If you’ve been eating meat and other animal products all your life, it’d probably be hard to one day wake up and fully make the switch. (I was a vegetarian for 8 years before I became vegan at the end of 2014.) Unless you think you’re ready to go 100% vegan right away, I suggest starting with vegetarian meals, then slowly give up eggs, dairy, etc. Look online on Tumblr, Youtube and Instagram for countless delicious recipes to help you get started! Search #vegan!

2. Do your research

Also on these social media sites, you can find tons of videos and posts about the benefits of veganism. The three main reasons people go vegan are for environmental, ethical and/or dietary reasons. Also online, you can find loads of information on the different kinds of types of vegan diets. From "high carb, low fat" to "fully raw", there are a lot of choices. Read up on the various lifestyles to find which one’s right for you.

3. Stop buying animal byproducts

This is something I think goes under the radar a lot. While most people immediately think of avoiding fur, leather, and even wool, is the result of animal cruelty and death. I admit, I still wear the leather shoes I bought from before I was vegan (I see no point in just throwing them out), but now I make the conscious effort to avoid all animal byproducts now.

4. Make sure you’ll get all your nutrients

The question every vegan gets asked is “Where do you get your protein?” The answer is lots of places actually. Beans, rice, nuts and seeds offer cruelty-free protein in large amounts. There’s also soy-based fake meats and seitan. (However, I tend to avoid these overly processed meat alternatives and just stick to veggies and other natural options.) Also, while it’s not always necessary, many vegans take supplements or vitamins to get important nutrients like iron. I suggest consulting your doctor or a dietitian if you think this is right for you!

I hope you found these tips helpful if you're considering veganism. Going vegan truly changed my life for the better, so I encourage everyone to look into it!