The most common household pests that residents of cities – large and small – invariably must deal with emerge in cycles and change according to the seasons and the atmospheric conditions of a given year. One year, for instance, a home may be inundated with centipedes, millipedes, and spiders, while the next year, extreme problems with carpenter ants and fruit flies can start for what seems like no reason at all – in each and every case, some kind of pest control is necessitated

There is one pest, however, that seems to be present every year: wasps. They are not only incredibly persistent, but they are extremely aggressive, territorial, destructive to homes and trees, presenting a frightening danger to children and pets – in other words, the wasp control services that are required to deal with such a problem must be performed by highly specialized experts, who are able to sufficiently cope with a rather menacing problem; indeed, massive wasp populations are difficult to control, but homeowners can take certain steps to minimize the risk of wasps nesting on their property.

1. Plan Ahead

The best way to deal with a wasp problem is by starting preventative measures early in warm seasons. Some wasps like the bald-faced hornet can hibernate through winter months. When it becomes warmer, nonetheless, the undeveloped larvae will re-animate and grow into workers; thus, DIY wasp nest removal should only be done if the nest is no bigger than a golf ball. Taking care of small nests early can minimize wasp populations over the course of a season. It’s best to use organic sprays and powders; if there are no adult wasps present, “squishing” a nest is also effective.

2. Be Mindful Of Food And Wasp Preferences

Unlike honey bees, wasps are not attracted to pollens. They are quite omnivorous, and constantly searching for sugar and protein sources. Though it is fun to have events like barbeques and picnics, minimizing the amount of food exposed outdoors is essential. This is especially important for raw and cooked meats, alike. Wasps are also constantly looking for water supplies. Lessening the amount of standing water in a yard is incredibly effective; birdbaths, rainwater barrels, and other things that can act as a reservoir ought to be removed if one is to ensure wasp-prevention.

3. Consider Spots Where Nests Are A Possibility

Wasps are also opportunists when it comes to finding suitable locations to build a nest. One of the most common places wasps will start a nest is underneath loose house siding. Even if a siding strip is pulled away from the wall only a few centimeters, wasps will move in. In the spring, take time to inspect and repair all loose siding and other home features that wasps can creep into.

4. Hire A Professional – Easily And Quickly

Most wasp infestations are too risky for homeowners to handle on their own. In these cases, an excellent and reputable wasp nest removal service should be hired. These companies use environmentally safe and diverse methods of removing nests, while educating homeowners about preventing further infestations.

The best pest-control companies in the Greater Toronto Area, for instance, employ technicians who are rigorously vetted and fully licensed by Ontario’s Ministry of Environment; additionally, they must possess up-to-date extermination cards. Exterminators, additionally, ought to provide full-service inspections, extractions, and follow-up checks for the entire year – dedication isn’t just a benefit, it’s a necessity. They will also offer free quotes over the phone for homeowners with an emergency wasp problem. The surest way to deal with a problem like wasps, is, of course, to let professional exterminators do the job correctly the first time.