4 Things You Can Learn By Putting Down Your Cell Phone

You can be obsessed with your phone without being attached.

21
She Knows Canada

Here are the facts: I am a millennial. I have all of the social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. I love the New York Times Crossword application more than your average grandma. I have delved into the world of "Clash of Clans" and taking selfies is one of my hobbies. I enjoy texting and indeed, being connected is something I value. My cell phone is usually in my vicinity, partially because it doubles as a wallet. Wallet phone cases are major key.

But, am I addicted to my phone? Absolutely not.

You probably just rolled your eyes and thought, "you are a liar" or you did not understand the posture I took after my opening paragraph. Fear not, I will explain. It is perfectly acceptable to enjoy your cell phone and have a cell phone free life too. Here are four ways putting down your cell phone (even though you love your cell phone) enhances your daily life.

1. Present Tense

Leaving your phone in your room for hours, allows for immersion into your present surroundings. Though you may be thinking about the past or future, there is no distraction, or nothing to interupt your current conversation.

2. People

Texting, FaceTime, and Snapchat are great. I am a massive fan of all of them. But nothing compares to face to face interactions. Humans seek out other humans. It is in our biological nature. Putting down your phone lets you feel that in its rawest form.

3. Comfort Zone

The best way to learn about yourself is to engage in things that are outside of your comfort zone. Trust me, its great. Try not taking out your phone when you feel uncomfortable. It will take a while to break the habit of retreating to it but after a while, you will not even notice.

4. Listening

This goes along with the latter three. I bet you are not listening to people around you as much as you think you are. I know I am guilty of it. Putting your phone down allows for constant attention.

There are ways to love your phone, without being constantly absorbed by it. Go ahead try it. You may just surprise yourself.