4 Things Journalism Majors Hate To Be Asked

If you have to ask, you may never know.

68
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN–MILWAUKEE

As a journalism major, there are some things that I honestly, just don't want to hear. Here are some of them.

1. Do you have to always carry around a notebook?

No, I don't have to, but I want to. What if I run into someone that would be a great interview for an article I'm writing? Yes, I could record it on my phone, but taking notes, as well, also helps with making sure that I don't miss out on any good ideas my brain gets during the day.

2. Where do you come up with the subject of the articles and stories you write?

Honestly, just day-to-day life. I literally have a memo pad on my phone for articles that I could potentially write. And truth be told, for newspaper, I don't write just my ideas, I write the ideas from others, too. And they can write some of mine as well. On newspaper, we're just all a big family that tries to get out the best stories we can. If one person has one great idea, then their ideas will be in the paper, even if they don't write them.

3. How is journalism relevant anymore?

That's like saying that news and media isn't relevant anymore. Yes, print is dwindling down, but it'll be a while before the Earth goes completely paperless. Journalism is more than just writing in newspapers. It's interviewing and meeting with people, it's going out on the field and getting information to give to you at home, and it's caring about your community and getting people the information that they deserve to know. In this day and age, we all are journalists. Using social media to talk about your day or the events in your city, is being a journalist. Gossip is journalism.

4. You know, you won't make any money, right?

WHO CARES? Yes, money makes the world go 'round, but are you truly living if you are spending your life doing something you hate? Journalists can eventually end up making lots of money. It just depends on how hard you work, like it is with any other job. The average pay for journalists is lower than teachers. In Chicago, journalist salaries can go to $72,000 a year and in New York City, can get as high as $94,000. Not only does it have to do with hard work, location is important as well.

I hope that by reading this, you've learned something about journalism students and about journalism itself. Just please don't continue to ask these questions!