4 Signs of an AC Malfunction

4 Signs of an AC Malfunction

Adulting is hard. Here's a quick guide to know if your air conditioning is malfunctioning.

6
4 Signs of an AC Malfunction

Unfortunately, sometimes important home systems fail. This is sometimes true of an air conditioning system. Even worse, your AC can fail when you need it most during the sweltering heat of the summer. Overall, it’s always best to solve issues before the turn into a bigger problems. Below are four signs your AC is malfunctioning.

Your AC Is Pumping Out Warm Air

Obviously, the main purpose, if not the only purpose, of an air conditioning system is to pump cool or cold air into your rooms to bring down the temperature. One obvious sign that something is wrong with your system occurs when the air being pumped out instead feels warm to you. There could be multiple sources of this issue. It could be caused by the failure of a capacitor. Your AC’s refrigerant might have run out. Even a clogged filter could be to blame.

The Airflow Is Not Strong Enough

Another problem occurs when the airflow pumped out to your vents feels too weak. In other cases, you may not feel an airflow at all even though the system is running. This is a serious problem that may require air conditioning repair. The compressor may have failed completely if this is the case. In other cases, it may be caused by leaks in the air ducts or clogs in the ducts or air filters. More routine maintenance can help prevent such issues.

Your Utility Bills Are Too High

Running an air conditioner will require the use of some electricity. After using your system for many months and years, you should have a good handle on exactly what that extra cost should be around. If your bills, however, suddenly skyrocket, you may have a problem. This is probably a sign that your system suddenly started working very inefficiently. It may be the result of broken components, leaks, or issues that a repair professional can take care of.

Your AC Smells Bad When Operating

Something your system should not do is emit air that smells. It should be odor free. If the air coming from your vents smells, you probably have a serious issue. If it smells like smoke or fire, something, such as the wiring, may have burned. This can be a fire hazard. Musty odors may be dangerous to your family’s health as well.

There, of course, could be other signs that your air conditioner is failing. Overall, if you detect a serious problem, don’t be afraid to call for help from a repair person. That problem could quickly develop into a much bigger issue that could be much more costly to fix.