4 Reasons You Should Be Watching Netflix's 'One Day At A Time'

It’s a wonderful show and here are 4 reasons why you should be watching it.

44

One Day at a Time is a Netlfix sitcom that is remake of a sitcom of the same name from the 70s and 80s. It follows a Cuban-American family and their super, Schneider. The show follows the Alvarez family full of endearing characters as the go about their lives.

It’s a wonderful show and here are 4 reasons why you should be watching it. Light spoilers below.

1. Rita Moreno

Rita Moreno is one out of 12 EGOTs in history, a person who has won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and a Tony. She is a talented actress and best known for her role in West Side Story. She is a Latina icon that plays a hilarious abuela in One Day at a Time. Her character is mostly a comic relief character, but there are plenty of serious scenes that show off Moreno’s acting chops.

2. LGBTQ Representation

Elena, the daughter of the family, goes through a journey a self-discovery in the first season. She realizes that she’s a lesbian, which isn’t always accepted in Latino families. She worries how her family will react to the news. Representation is important and this story means a lot to LGBTQ viewers, particularly those from Latino families.

SEE ALSO: 6 Fictional Lesbian And Bisexual Women That Haven't Died

3. Latino Representation

While Latino representation has gotten much better over the years, the history of Latinos in American media isn’t great. Many times Latino actors have been stuck playing roles of Don Juans, maids, gangsters, or sexy Latinas. One Day at a Time stars a regular Latino family. Justina Machado plays a strong, single mother with a military background. The sexiest Latina on the show is the abuela. She’s got some serious salsa moves.

SEE ALSO: Elena of Avalor: Disney's "Latina" Princess

4. Addressing Serious Issues

This show will not only make you laugh, it will make you cry, too. The show addresses serious issues, such as mental illness, deportation, racism, homophobia, and gun violence. The show has a great balance of giving the issues the seriousness they deserve, while also throwing in jokes at the right time to lighten the mood.

Please head over to Netflix and start watching this great show!